Final Approved 11-15-07

Meet and Confer

November 1, 2007

Admin:† Michael Spitzer, Earl Potter, Nancy Jessee, Larry Chambers, Mitch Rubinstein, Kate Steffens, Rex Veeder, Steve Ludwig, Kristi Tornquist

Faculty:† Judy Kilborn, Annette Schoenberger, Michael Connaughton, Michael Tripp, Robert Johnson, JoAnn Gasparino, Fred Hill, John Palmer, Frances Kayona, Balsy Kasi, Bill Hudson, Polly Chappell Ė Note taker

Guests: Jan Hallar, Margaret Vos, Sue Bayerl

Approval of Minutes

 

1.    October 18, 2007

FA: Weíre ready to approve these minutes.

 

Admin: Weíll regard these minutes as approved.

 

Unfinished Business

 

1.    Announce, Discuss, and Bulletin Boards (FA) (09/07/06)

a.    Policy for E-mail as a Means of Communication for Employees, St. Cloud State University

FA: We did get a copy of that the other day, so Executive Committee has had a chance to review it.

 

Admin: Do you want to respond to it?

 

FA: Well, you explained to me individually that you had in mind particular kinds of communications that would come out via this means. I thought it would be useful for you to explain that.

 

Admin: Primarily the attempt for this is to make certain that there are types of information that everybody on campus needs to receive and be aware of, like if there is some kind of alert or some kind of emergency situation. We want to make sure that everybody has their email account, has access to it, and will be able to see those announcements. Occasionally there are some items from Public Safety, weather emergencies, and other kinds of things that everyone on campus needs to know. Certain offices would have the ability to send out email that would go to every email account, to every person on campus, so that that information would be shared expeditiously. Thatís one of the main reasons for this process and this document.

 

FA:† You had mentioned other elements that would be related to faculty.

 

Admin: There are some things that would go to all faculty. So, if there is something from the Registrar that needs to be made available as information to all faculty. There are some items from the HR office that need to get distributed to all faculty. Currently as it is, each of the colleges has its own list. And Iím assuming that every faculty member in the colleges is on those email lists. This is just for sending email to faculty and staff of all colleges.

 

FA: So would this be a distribution list or a listserv or what would it be?

 

Admin: I would call it a distribution list. It could be a listserv, but itís not one where people can send messages back.

 

FA: Who would have the authority to send messages?

 

Admin: If you look on the sheet in Appendix B, it talks about the types of announcements. The offices would be: Academic Affairs, Administrative Affairs, the Presidentís Office, Student Life and Development, University Communications, and Public Safety. Itís the last item on the bottom of the page for Appendix B.

 

FA: So those would be the only units that would have the ability to do this?

 

Admin: To send to all. Yes.

 

FA: And the examples of appropriate uses are included in that list there?

 

Admin: Yes.

 

FA: Iím wondering, do people have questions or responses?

 

FA: Do you have a sense of how many of these might come out? Iíve been urged by my colleagues and the conversations that weíve had, and Iíve discontinued subscription to Announce, and itís a joy. It means Iím not deleting all these messages that I didnít care to receive in the first place. As I look at this, if it is handled in a very conservative manner, that volume that currently exists, that has been coming, wouldnít reoccur. Because as I understand this, I couldnít opt out of it, is that correct?

 

Admin: No. You couldnít opt out of it. Yes. The assumption is that this would be a much more conservative process, that these announcements would be official and necessary information, not optional. This is not going to include: On Tuesday night thereís a concert, and things like that. Those would not be included in these kinds of messages.

 

FA: What sorts of messages would come out of Student Life and Development and University Communications? I have more trouble imagining that than other areas.

 

Admin: There might be something with regard to a health crisis or something relating to some incident that took place.

 

Admin: Weather information typically comes out of University Communications.

 

FA: So, we wouldnít have direct postings from Bob? Bob would go through somebody? (Laughter) Iím sorry. What about University Communications?

 

Admin: The same thing. A lot of the important messages get funneled through University Communications.

 

Admin: We also talked about more than one, so that in the absence of the person with authority we could find somebody to get the message out in another unit. So, since we work together, if the President was at a distance or something, we could work with University Communications to send some message.

 

FA: What do you mean by ďread and act expeditiouslyĒ?

 

Admin: Where are you getting that?

 

FA: Itís in the middle of the first paragraph. The reason Iím asking that is there are days that Iím in class for six hours. I donít have access to my email. Friday Iím going to be in an all-day meeting. There has to be some sort of recognition that when youíre standing in the classroom, you have to shut your phone and email off. If youíre in lab all day, between the lab sessions you have to go to the bathroom. You canít go back to your office and look at your email. Somehow this doesnít seem to address this. This seems to be written by somebody who doesnít have those kinds of pressures and issues.

 

Admin: Of course there are times when people donít have access. That could be true of anybody in this room. But the idea is when you have an opportunity, you will take advantage of it. Once you have a chance to read this, to act on it if itís something that requires action. Are there any other comments or questions?

 

FA: I have a question about something later on in the paragraph: ďEmail shall not be used as the only means of communication when an employee is not scheduled for work assignments.Ē Iím not sure what that means. I donít know if youíre talking about formal communications that come through the summer, like when we get our contracts or something like that. And that, of course, would be paper. But Iím trying to imagineÖ

 

Admin: Weather alerts, for example, over the local radio.

 

FA: That makes sense.

 

Admin: And for other kinds of private communications. If there is something confidential, or related to employment, this would not be the way to communicate that information.

 

FA: We can take it back to Senate.

 

FA: Yes. Thatís what we need to do. An initial reaction is that I think that important information that weíve talked about early on in our discussion here about who would be the designator or distributors of this stuff, and what kind of information would come across. I think this would be useful, up front, instead of on the back, because that provides context for why we would even do this. Thatís my individual response. Weíll take this back to Senate for an official response.†

 

Admin: Can we move to item 3.a so that we can have some guests here respond to prior requests for information, which is about funding and budgets in the Center for International Studies? So Margaret and Jan are here to talk about that.

 

3.†† Follow ups

a.    Center for International Studies (FA) (01/18/07)

Guest: First, Iíll preface with saying that we were here last spring presenting information regarding the Center for International Studiesí budget. We understand you requested more information, specifically looking at tuition and how tuition is captured and sent out. This is Jan Hallan, an accountant from CIS, and what weíve done is put together a summary sheet that looks at last yearís summer programs, which we captured budget on. Itís the same information. What we did is collapse it so it is easier for you to read because it all comes out onto one sheet.

 

FA: So, this is last summer?

 

Guest: This is from last summer. Our tuition dollars that are paid by students for semester-long programs during the academic year are not captured for CIS to expend payments on, but our short-term summer programs are. And those tuition dollars are put into that account number 211002. So, this shows the number of students in the various programs that we had go over the last summer. We did cancel the Croatia trip due to lack of students wanting to participate. It shows the total estimated tuition dollars, because weíre not able, at this time, to totally reconcile that account. Weíre still looking at the numbers that show up on our print out and the numbers that we show in our office. This is what we show under our numbers. We paid out faculty salaries out of that account, and then airfare for some of the trips. So, estimated revenue that we collected, estimated payments out, and money left-over by the end of the summer was $129. What we do is that we operated it as a wash. It was money that comes in, and goes out on those programs to pay for those programs.

 

Admin: Any questions?

 

FA: I get designated as the number interpreter. We have a document, and Iím not sure why. It seems to be related to the document you handed out today. Are you familiar with this one?

 

Guest: We sent that to the Provost earlier.

 

FA: Let me just see if I understand this correctly. The relationship of the new document weíre seeing shows the best estimate of the actual tuition dollars collected. The other document had a column called total student charge. That would mean to me that thatís in addition to tuition. Is that right?

 

Guest: This first document that came from the Provost, this is the program cost per student. For example, when a short-term program is going to go, Iím going to use France, I told the students that we could send them for $3,185. When we collected the money, if you go through it, we ended up spending $2,000 more than we collected from the student. But I kept the program costs less because I had projected that I could spend $10,000 off this tuition side for the short-term programs. So, the short-term programs that have four to six students going that are just starting out, theyíre actually being compensated by the programs that send 40 students.

 

FA: Since you mentioned France, in addition to the $3,185 that was collected, there was $2,018 in tuition. And that would seem to me to offset the over-budget that in fact counting tuition and fees versus expenditures, that program broke even.

 

Guest: No. Because I collected $2,018, but we paid out a salary of $4,290. So, on the tuition side I was short $2,000. And on the program side I was short $2,000. But if you look at the whole, if you add all my programs together, I can still do it, because my China program is bringing in money because 40 students went. And we collected $3,500 tuition dollars and paid $2,700. So I have extra tuition money that I can then use for the salary for the faculty who is going with four students.

 

FA: I appreciate the explanation. It seems to me that we have two different sets of accounting for the same event.

 

Guest: You do.

 

Admin: One describes just the tuition. And the other describes the tuition and the program fees and the revenue generated.

 

Guest: The two pots of money are separate. The program fees are kept in an agency account. The tuition fees are kept in the St. Cloud Stateís big tuition pot. I never actually see the money, but I have permission to use the money, to expend it to help send these small programs and to help them develop.

 

Admin: Help me understand why weíre talking about this. What are the underlying questions that weíre exploring?

 

FA: The faculty who participate in these programs brought to us concern for the charges that students were incurring and the economics of conducting programming. And to understand why some programs went forward and some programs were cancelled. Last spring we got an excellent report that explained everything except the role of tuition. What I heard today is that from an accounting standpoint, we donít individually track tuition. The idea is to be able to say to our colleagues that nobody is getting rich here. There isnít a cash cow that somehow has been generated. So, that we can explain that these are reasonable things that are going on in the program.

 

Admin: I understand. Thank you.

 

FA: I think we can safely say, we asked for the information provided. But, that doesnít mean to say that they may not be satisfied. Just for the record, I think we should be clear that weíre not indicating that the faculty who received the information and generated the questions are happy with the answers.

 

FA: Youíre correct. It is a bit unusual to have two different sets of accounting to try to then communicate the same message.

 

FA: I agree. I think it would be helpful. I understand from the accounting perspective that they are different accounts, I think for the reporting purposes, especially for faculty, maybe a few more columns on this spreadsheetÖ

 

Guest: Thatís no problem. What we were trying to do is separate out that tuition piece, but if what you would like is for us to pull it together, so that what you see is one piece that shows it all the way across, we can certainly do it.

 

FA: Why just the summer program?

 

Admin: Thatís what you asked for.

 

FA: Thatís what we asked for.

 

Guest: You should know, too, when I started I was asked to research this account, and I found a memo saying in 2003 we should establish the account. And the account was established. The tuition dollars for short-term never arrived there, and the salaries were never paid out of it. I sat with Diane Burlison and Glen Carlson in May, right before we came to the meeting, and I stated that, that this is the hope; we had hoped that this system would be set up and implemented. The tuition account was set up, but it was never implemented. So, this is the first attempt to implement it. It still did not work. The tuition dollars arrived. The salaries were paid out of an account that is very, very similar to this, so I have them, but all the dollars are still in the checking account. So thereís not a separate checking account set up. So itís going to show up in St. Cloud Stateís report, so itís correct. Itís just under a different CIS number than the 21101, but, hopefully, now I worked with Annette Day, and this next time that we do it, it should work well.

 

FA: I donít think we just asked for summer programs. The summer ones were a particular problem, but I think there were questions also about the extra fees students are charged. †

 

Guest: We answered those questions in April.

 

FA: Itís still not clear and easy to see how this fits in with the information we got in April.

 

FA: It sounds to me that that will be put into that whole package.

 

Guest: We will eventually put it all together.

 

FA: Part of the issue was that CIS wasÖ I had gotten a request from the former director of CIS to increase CISís cut. And I said, how much money do you think youíll make? How many students will you get? How do you think youíll use this money? Because if Iím going to take this to Senate and get a recommendation, Iím going to ask these questions. Thatís the question weíre trying to get answered. They said they didnít have any idea how the money gets spent. It was like a big explosion of questions about it.

 

FA: I understand youíre building an accounting system, and I really appreciate that because as you understand, probably much better than I do, this is complicated. I think it is difficult to understand if youíre a faculty whose involved with this overseas traveling, and I think that this breakdown will really help clarify what are complicated issues for people. So I appreciate this, and I hope we get this on a regular basis. Iím assuming we will.

 

Guest: No problem.

 

FA: Thank you.

 

Guest: Would you like us to add a few columns to this sheet here for you to have so that you can see the overall cost so it shows the programmatic and the overall cost of the program and then the plus or minus, for over or under budget?

 

FA: That would be good.

 

FA: That would be helpful, but I think the other thing is there seems to be a discrepancy: 129 students in one and 97 on the other, and 32 somewhere?

 

Guest: The 32 are the ones that went to England, which is not a short-term program. But England will show up on the program costs because itís part of my spreadsheet to track it, but when it comes to collecting the tuition, I wonít collect tuition dollars from England.

 

FA: It still seems different.

 

Guest: Okay. Iíll look at that.

 

FA: What does ďnot collectedĒ here mean?

 

Guest: That means that the tuition dollars for those accounts are not collected. In New Zealand, the director did not go with the core students to save money. And on the Canadian Social Work program, they were paid out of their own pool of money. Since the salaries were paid under the tuition account, we did not collect the money. That happens apparently at the discretion of the faculty member. Like Thailand/Laos is going now, and I wonít be collecting those tuition dollars either.

 

FA: Why is that?

 

Admin: I think because those are regular semester courses.

 

FA: But there wasnít the money in airfareÖ

 

Guest: Well, there again, I paid the Canadian airfares because I knew I had about $10,000 to pay, and I had all these different invoices, and I just picked one that would be similar to my $10,000. So I took the one from Canada, and I took the one from Russia, and I paid those two from the account instead of having like ten checks go out for two people. I need a $10,000 bill to pay, so I picked the two that were close.

 

FA: So the other ones had airfare but they came out of a different account?

 

Guest: It came out of the agency account, the program account.

 

FA: Which is on this?

 

Guest: Right.

 

FA: And I heard Margaret say a consolidated statementÖ

 

Guest: Itís going to be helpful.

 

FA: Thank you very much.

 

Admin: Thank you. We have another guest today, and we are asking to move to that particular topic. So, to item number one on New Business: DARS.

 

New Business

1.    DARS

Admin: Not the Daughters of the American Revolution and their Sisters, but the Degree Audit Report System. (Laughter) We are one of a very small number of campuses that has not implemented DARS, and weíre getting serious pressure from the Office of the Chancellor to get our system in place so that we can begin using it for the benefit of our students, and then to assist them in their registration, in their degree completion and in their advising processes. So, one of the things that weíre doing is working very hard this year, going from one collegeís programs to the next collegeís programs, to get all of our degree programs in place and put into the DARS system so that can be used appropriately. One of the things that we need in order for that to happen is for faculty to cooperate in the process. From everything that Sue Bayerl has told me, the faculty have been very cooperative, but there are certain things that weíre going to need to have to do and weíre going to have to continue to do it on a continuing basis in order to maintain DARS and keep it up-to-date and current. So every time, for example, that we change a curriculum program, weíre going to have to update DARS to reflect that. And we need to develop a mechanism to do that. Sue, do you want to talk about some of the things that you might need from faculty?

 

Guest: Basically, Michael and I talked this morning about the faculty involvement. One piece of it is going to be that Rita Moore, an assistant registrar in my office, will be meeting with all the department chairs in all the colleges just to make sure that the curriculum is correct in DARS. So, that will be one thing. And, also, sheíll be talking with the faculty about training opportunities, learning how to read those audits and whatís on there. Do you want small groups? The whole college? Individual? And how that will happen. Also, to talk about how to access those audits. Right now, how itís set up, related to the MnSCU system, if youíre an advisor you can use your advisee audits online. I know some departments donít advise that way. They might want to have the chair be able to access all the majors in the department. Thatís the restraint of the MnSCU system. Things like that. Also, she is available as a resource to ask questions and provide answers.

 

FA: You use the term ďaudit.Ē What do you mean by ďauditĒ?

 

Guest: Thatís what itís called. DARS stands for Degree Audit Report System. And the audit is the listing of all the requirements that it takes to get a degree in an area of study.

 

Admin: So, what the degree audit does is it tells the student and the advisor the requirements.

 

FA: Does the student have access?

 

Guest: Weíre trying to work on a process to notify Administration of all those curriculum changes so that we know whoís affected by the changes.

 

Admin: Weíll come back to Meet and Confer with a written procedure that weíd like to follow. Weíre developing that now. When it is completed, weíll bring it in to review with you.

 

FA: Iím confused. The curriculum goes to the Academic Affairs office. They have all that information.

 

Admin: True.

 

FA: Are you going to ask us to do it three or four times?

 

Admin: There are a couple things involved there. One is that some department websites list their degree maps. The Academic Affairs website lists the degree maps. Sometimes a department will change the degree map at the department level, but not change it on the Academic Affairs page, and weíve have two different degree maps then floating around. So we want make sure when we change them, that weíre consistent. We want to make sure that when curriculum change for a program occurs, sometimes there are issues, and it would be useful to talk with Records and Registration before the changes.

 

FA: Degree maps arenít part of the curriculum. The curriculum proposals just list theÖ

 

Admin: Right, but it all depends on the impact on the degree map requirements that can change. And if we donít change the degree maps, students can get misinformed.

 

FA: What does that have to do with DARS?

 

Admin: DARS uses the same information thatÖ

 

FA: The information off the curriculum proposal and the course requirements.

 

Admin: Right.

 

FA: The degree map is just a suggestion of how you might work your way through the program.

 

Admin: Sometimes itís more than a suggestion.

 

Admin: And sometimes a degree map is useful when youíre visualizing what the requirements are and you could indicate where a change might affect a degree map.

 

FA: Yes. But itís not official. In fact if you advise transfer students at all, youíll realize that those degree maps areÖ they may be the best thingÖ they may be a good place to startÖ But they reallyÖ The students are not able to follow those. I donít know if you guys are aware of how many transfer students we have at this institution. The degree maps really donít have anything to do with DARS. †

 

Guest: They will. And thatís probably going to come more at the statewide Meet and Confer, eventually, for faculty. Because MnSCU has different projects that theyíre funding. One of them is called the Graduation PlannerÖ

 

FA: Which they probably havenít even talked to the faculty about.

 

FA: We donít need to go there, Annette.

 

Guest: That process is going to use the degree maps, and also pull from both DARS and degree map information. Just so you know.

 

FA: I am old fashioned. I remember when we fought over what could go into the printed document, which is the Undergraduate Bulletin. There was a point in time that departments had gone far a field in what they wanted published in the Undergraduate Bulletin, which had not gone through the curriculum process. Now, I thought that weíd squared that away; that the only things that appear in the Undergraduate Bulletin are the things that had gone through the curriculum process. That being the case, that should be the Bible as it were for what DARS would have in it; then, in hearing that, we have a new issue. That is thereís a new way to get around going through the curriculum process, which is for a department to put something on the web page that wouldnít have been submitted, gone through, and put into the bulletin. Am I hearing that wrong?

 

Admin: I donít think thatís what anybody was saying. But let me respond a little bit to your point, which is that the catalog gets published every second year. There are changes that occur between publications. We have a system in place where when a curriculum change is approved, it becomes effective immediately. Now, at some institutions curriculum changes donít get put into place immediately upon approval. They wait until a specific time. Thatís not the case in the way our system is used and developed. So, changes can occur next week, and that will revise whatís in the catalog printed months ago and wonít come out again for another six months.

 

FA: That may be true, but thereís a web version, which gets updated. That doesnít respond to Johnís point that in lieu of the curriculum process, something else would be official. So, it seems like DARS should be drawing upon what has been through the curriculum process and not through any other source or channel whether it be via the department web page or whatever.

 

Guest: It will. There may be a need for clarification about an approval that is done because of the constraints of what the computer can and cannot do. Thatís not to say weíre changing curriculum because the computer canít do something. Not at all. Itís just to have some kind of method of communication with the department so that the faculty of that department know that, yep, this was the specific approval, but just note that the computer probably canít do it the way you want or maybe the way that you think it may happen with students.

 

Admin: Can you give them an example?

 

Guest:† WellÖ

 

FA: While youíre thinking, it seems to me that we have requirements for a degree of programs. So, thereís required courses, suggested courses, elective courses, and so forth. Then we may have a degree map, which might suggest a sequence in which one takes classes. If we rearrange the sequences, that wouldnít necessarily mean that youíre adding or changing requirements. Itís just simply saying that we might suggest you take this before you take that. Itís kind of hard to see the connection between the curriculum process and the DARS system. Thatís where our confusion is.

 

FA: Iím wondering if part of what weíre talking about is really a means of communicating to make sure that things that wouldnít be automatically updated that people have the correct version of. So, if the department does something to help its students, that weíre sure we have the same information on the website as the department. I am hearing what weíre doing is coordinating to make sure that we have the information that the department wants put out.

 

Admin: Thatís absolutely correct.

 

FA: Okay.

 

FA: I can think of one example that has to do with co-requisites. So, Calculus based Physics has a co-requisite of Calculus I. But, you donít have to take those two courses at the same time. You can take Calculus I or you can take Calculus based Physics. And this is true quite often in the sciences where the co-requisite relationship isnít that they have to be taken at the same time; itís that one of them has to be taken before or at the same time.

 

Admin: Pre- or co-.

 

FA: Right. We donít actually care when you take that first semester of Calculus. All we care about is that youíve taken it either before or the same time as opposed to these two courses are intrinsically related to each other and they must be taken at the same time. The DARS system doesnít have a way of allowing us to do that as far as I can tell. We understand that. The people in Records understand. The faculty understand. But the guys down there doing the programming donít seem to be able to do it. I donít know how weíre going to deal with that.

 

Guest: That is a good point, though. Because I want the department to understand. The computer canít do both. Itís got to be one or the other the way itís built right now. I wanted to make sure the department knew that. The need for communication, once curriculum change came through. I would see that and Iíd say, who do I talk to about this? Weíre talking about getting communication lines so that the faculty would know the computer can only do this. Which one do you want?

 

FA: How do we get the computer to change? Thatís the major thing.

 

Admin: Thatís a problem with the system: to drive curriculum practice, because the computerís capacity is wrong.

 

FA: I teach this stuff. I use our system as an example. (Laughter)

 

Admin: We should be pushing back on that. Hereís another communication thing that you bump into at the working level, something that staff wonít be able to yield, and Michael canít deal with it with Linda, it needs to come to my level as an issue with the Chancellorís Office. Because these kinds of systems driving curriculum practiceÖ what you do to the degree that you have this co- pre-confusion, you create a system with all these manual overrides. Itís very labor intensive. Itís confusing to students. It will not serve our students well. The system alleges a commitment to students. This is not student-centered, this is system-centered. Thatís the kind of thing that we should raise up. A common interest between the faculty and Administration of saying hell no, this is wrong. We just happen to be the largest university in the system. Every single other university in the system has the same problem that we do. What could happen is that their staff can bully and refuse to move because it is not convenient for them. I donít want us to be in that position.

 

FA: I heard you say that one of the ways faculty help this out is when chairs have been contacted. Are there other things that you want us to be willing to help with, and is there a timeline we need to be aware of?

 

Guest: June 30th is the timeline. And just try it and use it. Go out and try it. Use it. Work with the students. Once in a while weíll get, oh, I donít really know what this document is. Go to Records and Registration and take a look at the system. Take a couple a minutes to look at it and see. Maybe it is something that can be determined just by reviewing. There are words on it. The words are meant to help the students know what their requirements are in order to get a degree.

 

Admin: How dependent is our completing this work and the work that is going on in General Education curriculum and transfer?

 

Guest: Basically, in a nutshell, thatís the two constraints that weíve had and weíre working on; we donít have it up and running right. One is lack of staff in our office, and the second is the general education. We bypassed that somewhat, and itís related to the distribution areas because right now no one really can figure out how to do the left/right columns and have the students have the correct information. Is this the area youíre going to take nine credits or six credits? And to have the computer know that ahead of time. What weíve done, is not have that as a requirement. All we have those areas doing is filling in the courses as students take them. We rely on the advisor to help the student determine.

 

Admin: So, we have a work-around that does not require that we complete this bit before we complete our commitment to DARS?

 

Guest: Right.

 

Admin: Does that work-around create confusion for faculty and students, or are they going to understand this?

 

Guest: Well, we talk about it when we visit the departments for training purposes. Whether there is still confusion, I donít know.

 

FA: If you do a lot of advising, it doesnít. If youíre new to advising, it actually will make it easier because before DARS, what you had to do is put your finger on the transcript, then you had another document here that had all the courses on it, and youíd go down and write them in the spots. And now, what DARS does is that writing in the spots. Itís very nice that way. Weíre in much better shape now, because before there was even confusion about which spot to write it in. I think if DARS just says this is a left- or right-hand course, you ought to be able to do that, then thatís very useful too, because youíre looking at it, and you are looking at three documents, and now you have one document. Iíve spent some time doing that, and itís not too bad.

 

FA: So, that shouldnít slow us downóthe DARS?

 

FA: Right. Whatís really nice is that it has the transfer information.

 

FA: Amongst all the MnSCU schools, would you generalize our General Education program as overly complicated?

 

Admin: Absolutely.

 

FA: But, that is a different topic.

 

FA: I just wondered if that is related to the problem.

 

FA: No.

 

FA: Yesterday, assistant registrar Rita came and they brought some templates to the department and they talked about they want to work with the department. We had the same issues with the general education courses, but I know thatís what they are working on right now. They worked on it a long time. Thatís something they mentioned will create more problems than DARS. Itís a work in progress.

 

Admin: You mentioned you are working in the colleges?

 

Guest: We have the COB up and running. They are using the audits. We are also using the audits in our office to determine graduation status right now at the end of the term when the grades are in. The COSE, weíre about 2/3 done with the majors and minors. And the plan is to go next to the COE. Hopefully that will be at the end of November or December. So, weíre a little bit ahead of what we originally planned.

 

Admin: Thatís good.

 

Guest: The next college will be COSS followed by COFAH. Weíre finding as we get more into this that we may pull certain majors out of the other colleges, and not follow such a rigid rule because some students are double-majors that seem to fit together. Like business; a lot of them work with Econ. So, maybe we need to pull that Econ major out and work with that so that the students have more complete information. Thatís the plan for the moment. Itís up for suggestions if you find it seems to be working a little bit differently. If you hear things, let me know.

 

Admin: Any other questions or comments? Weíre very appreciative of the assistance that faculty have provided in the process. Thanks.

 

FA: Will we be bringing this back again, later?

 

Admin: Well, I think weíll have some reports that come through from Sue about the progress toward DARS, and if there is an issue, weíll bring it back. Otherwise it doesnít need to be kept on the agenda. Thanks, Sue.

 

FA: Sue, before you leaveÖ just for clarification, the comment about updating the curriculum and maintaining DARS and about the websites and departmental degree mappingÖ Iím not quite clear. I have to explain that full conversation to colleagues, Iím not sure what I would say. Whatís the bottom line? Whatís the key points we were supposed to be getting out of this?

 

Admin: I think the bottom line is we are going to have to update DARS when we change requirements in various programs.

 

FA: What do you mean updating DARS? If weíre adding new courses?

 

Admin: It depends on what the change is and the curriculum.

 

Admin: I was just going to add that the curriculum process controls everything here. Whatever appears on DARS, whatever appears in a degree map, ought to reflect what has been approved through the curriculum process. It is our goal not to change anything. If there is a discrepancy, we need to know about it and make sure itís addressed.

 

FA: Do we need to have a means by which that can be provided to whatever is happening in DARS?

 

Admin: Correct. Right. Thatís the process that we need to create.

 

FA: But I donít think we really resolved that.

 

Admin: Weíll come back with a draft proposal to do that.

 

Guest: One more thing, on the website for Academic Affairs, they have copies of the degree maps. But also departments have copies of the degree maps. The concern is letís make the information all the same. †

 

FA: I think any discrepancies should be approved by the curriculum process.

 

Guest: Yes.

 

Unfinished Business

2.    Article 22 Task Force (was Tenure Calendar, now combined with FA/Administration Work-plan 2007-2008 item on More effective use of PDPís/PDRís to support faculty development) (FA) (02/01/07)

Admin: Do you want to talk about that?

 

FA: Where we were last time was that we had given you a charge and asked for your response to the charge and for population of taskforce.

 

Admin: Right. The last time we agreed to the charge. And if we didnít last time, weíll do it this time.

 

FA: Thank you.

 

Admin: The representation on the taskforce will be Dean Lawson, Dean DeGroote, and me.

 

FA: The representation that we appointed at Senate for that taskforce is Annette Schoenberger, John Palmer, and Tamrat Tademe. Iím assuming we can convene that taskforce.

 

Admin: I can do that.

 

FA: So, youíll just arrange to get peopleís schedules and stuff, then?

 

Admin: Yes.

 

FA: So, Iím assuming that we can take this off until they are ready to report something?

 

Admin: Yes.

 

3.†† Follow ups

b.    Return to Title Four (ADM) (08/30/07)

FA: Weíre waiting for Academic Affairs Committee to bring something to Senate. Iíll check to find out where we are on that. We actually could, if you wanted to, group a few items under follow ups and I could just give a general response. If thatís okay?

 

Admin: Yes.

 

c.     Campus Parking and Transportation Task Force (ADM) (10/04/07)

FA: We have a Campus Parking and Transportation Task Force, to which Senate has appointed members. I sent Steve Ludwig an email with those names.

 

Admin: Thank you for the names. Itís a few more than I expected. Iím still waiting for some students, but weíre going to proceed. I also appreciate the caveat that it may be difficult to schedule all those folks together, but Iíll put Miles on the case, and weíll work something out.

 

f.††† Membership on the Orientation Task Force (ADM) (10/18/07)

FA:† We also populated the membership on the Orientation Task Force. We were asked for two additional members. The member names have been sent to Avelino. He will have that taskforce convened. Weíre also waiting for the report, which we donít expect today, from last yearís work. We can come back to that when thatís ready.

 

Admin: Yes.

 

FA: You want to do another quick one?

 

Admin: Yes.

 

g. † Task Force on Diversity (a.k.a. Motion from Teacher Development) (FA) (9/22/05)

FA: We have a very simple motion regarding that. We essentially said, thank you very much for your work, and we accept your recommendation that that taskforce be disbanded. So, weíre putting that on the record. I think one thing that we need to be really clear about is when we disband taskforces, so that those get taken off the list and we donít have these taskforces.

 

Admin: Right. Thank you.

 

Admin: Iím not sure what steps we take next to commission a group to do Diversity. We had a meeting with the cultural diversity committee and agreed in conversation with the committee that thatís not the right place to do that. Yes or no?

 

FA: Yes. But Iím not representing that committee though.

 

FA: Senate did talk about the fact that there was that part of the recommendation that indicated interest by people on that taskforce in participating in the Diversity Plan formation. There was simply discussion about it. People werenít really clear about what that would turn into. Obviously, you have the same question.

 

Admin: Would it be a friendly thing now to come forward with the Diversity planning team and charge?

 

FA: Absolutely. Weíll look forward to seeing that.

 

Admin: Okay.

 

d.    Report on Budget (ADM) (10/18/07)

Admin: I believe there were some additional requests for information, and I have some of that now. This first document is the† carry forward amounts and brief explanation of each of those. The second document, the legal-sized sheet, is a spreadsheet and graph that follows the classroom technology, which is one particular part of that that has an ongoing process. So I wanted to provide that. The first quarterly financial report went out the 22nd to John and Judy. In any case, itís on our website now, also. Thatís available. Weíll await authorization of publication and copies of our audited financial statement for fiscal year 2007, which is in the hands of the Board, contingent upon their meeting and their agreement to publication. We donít control that. But as soon as we have it, we will publish that.

 

Admin: Questions? Comments?

 

FA: I did forward to Steve some Senate motions that approved the minutes of our Budget Advisory group that asks some questions about the two initiatives that were brought to Meet and Confer last year, both at the graduate level. Weíd like to get a report on how weíre progressing with the EDD. We had an investment in that. We also were given information about the Masters of Regulatory Affairs and Services. Both of those were the first steps of rolling out new programs where we talked about the budgets. We think itís time to simply take a look at them.

 

Admin: I appreciated the forwarding of the email. It gave me a heads up. Iíve spoken to Michael about those two. We had already been in discussion about how those might be able to be reported back. Another item I recall on there was a look at accounts receivable. That is also in our audited financial statement. It shows the changes in accounts receivable. I think that will be helpful to you, too, when you receive that. I have to go back and look at your email again, but I think weíll be pretty well up-to-date on getting the information.

 

FA: The other piece is reporting of the financials in a format like we used at the end of last year as we went through that process of examining projections of where we would be. There remains a technical problem that exists, because not everyone has the same access to the same software. So, two of the files I got I canít open.

 

Admin: Which ones?

 

FA: The ones with the X on them.

 

FA: Do you have a vague notion of how much was left over that wasnít unencumbered?

 

Admin: Thatís in the year-end statement that we have up on the web. I donít have the precise number in front of me. There are some claims, if you will, against carry forward like faculty travel and some things that are significant numbers that arenít included here because they are not optional, they are required. As I recall, in the million dollar range.

 

FA: For clarification, it says Business Dean and Education Dean $148,000 for technology enhancements. Is that separate?

 

Admin: These were applications of technology that were, for example, in Centennial Hall that werenít originally planned in the facility. In Education, these are additional equipment in places where there isnít any.

 

FA: Is that room 345 in Hallenbeck Hall?

 

Admin: Thereís one classroom in Hallenbeck, but Iím not sure of the class number.

 

FA: Itís 345.

 

Admin: Any other questions on this? Okay on this topic?

 

FA: Yes.

 

e.    Joint letter (March 30, 2006) from bargaining units and presidential response (May 8, 2006) concerning Recommendations for Search Committee Procedures (FA) (10/18/07)

Admin: There was a subsequent response to the bargaining units, and hereís a memo sent in January í07 in regard to that recommendation, which changes the search committee procedures. If you like, we can discuss this now. Or perhaps we can talk about it later on, after youíve had a chance to study this. You did receive this in January.

 

FA: I think we should take this back and leave it on the agenda for later, because we just got this.

 

Admin: Thatís fine.

 

4.†† Administrative Searches (ADM) (10/04/07 and 10/18/07)

Admin: There were committee representation requests that were made for the positions listed under A, B, C, D, E.

 

FA: If you donít mind my narrating where we are?

 

Admin: Sure.

a.    COSS Dean Search

FA: I have asked all the members who were FA-appointed whether they wish to serve again, and we will need to replace two of those people. The request has gone out, and the ballots will be counted next Thursday.

 

c.†† Associate Vice President for International Studies
d.†† Associate Dean for COB (current position)

FA: The same is true for Associate Vice President for International Studies and Associate Dean for COB. Those ballots went out today, and will be counted next Thursday. I will be able to give you names at that point.

 

b.    Search Committee for Special Advisor to the President

FA: You already have the names for Search Committee for the Special Advisor to the President, and those were appointed Tuesday in Senate.

 

e.†† Associate Dean for COE (current position)

FA: There was some confusion over the status of that search when we asked for a different committee last time. We didnít realize which position exactly you were looking at, and what the status of the current search was. It was my understanding that they were actually rank-ordering the candidate at the point when we were requested to have a committee. When we discovered that confusion, we agreed to continue with the current committee with a few provisos. One of them was that this was the exact position description for the position that John Hoover currently is in.

 

Admin: Correct.

 

FA: And that during the search that there would be no mention to candidates of a potential second Associate Dean position because the consultation on that is now going forward.

 

Admin: That was agreed to earlier and those are the instructions given to the members of the committee.

 

FA: So, weíre fine with that, and we appreciate the discussion.

 

Admin: Okay. Thank you.

 

5.    Academic Plan (ADM) (10/18/07) ó Charge to Task Force on International Studies (FA) (08/30/07) and Charge for Online Policy and Procedure committee (FA) (08/30/07) are now subsumed under Academic Plan

Admin: There are a couple things involved that have to do with the Taskforce on International Studies because the charge on the Online Policy and Procedures Committee, and to a degree at least those are subsumed under the request for membership for work groups on the Academic Plan, though I do think there are some things that the Online Policy Committee will have to address that are not going to be part of that. There are some policies and procedures that need to be looked at separately. For the most part, I think, a lot of that will overlap. Weíve asked for faculty co-chairs for each of those work groups. Iím hoping that youíll have some names for us on that.

 

FA: If we could take this up in two parts. First, obviously, youíve given us a charge for the Online Policy and Procedures Committee.

 

Admin: Right.

 

FA: Which has gone forward to that committee so that they could proceed with their work, and we have an acknowledgment here that these two things are related to the Academic Plan. But, weíre pulling them off the agenda then at this point. The second piece is your request for some names. Iím going to have John respond to the Senate motions regarding that.

 

FA: The Senate did pass two motions dealing with the Academic Plan. We believe that weíre ready to go to work with you in completing this task in the timeframe that is outlined in the plan. The first motion passed is that the Faculty co-chair of Strategic Planning Committee, the FA President, and the Provost serve as a steering committee tasked with populating the working groups and overseeing the process of the Academic Plan. The second motion is that the FA members who serve as working group co-chairs receive compensation for three additional duty days, and FA members who serve on working groups receive compensation in the form of one additional duty day.

 

FA: Essentially what that first motion does is that it provides a way of streamlining a discussion, and we can sit down and look at the groups together, groups with co-chairs and members of the working group, as an efficient way of getting that process started. It is also an indication that the faculty would like to be involved in the process long term. We would like to have input long-term on that process.

 

Admin: I think the steering committee idea is a very good one. Iím certainly willing to support that request. The other request with regard to compensation, I think that weíd like to know that the amount of work involved would exceed the normal service expectations required of faculty to serve, that are not duty days, in which case there would be compensation. But Iíd like to see exactly what kind of work is required of folks before agreeing to that request.

 

FA: Weíve already talked in that plan about having some sort of retreat for the work groups, and the duty day would be for that.

 

Admin: To the extent that that happens, that would be fine.

 

FA: Are you suggesting that there is a possibility that the work would be of such magnitude that they may be entitled to more than one day compensation?

 

Admin: It depends on what we end up doing, but that might be possible, or it might be less than that.

 

FA: Our purpose in passing this motion is to communicate that we do believe that there is going to be additional work. I would be less than frank with you if I said this was universally supported. There was an alternative that had a higher number of duty days. This is an estimate. It is the best estimate of what we thought the level of work would be. We recognize that weíre operating under some very tight time constraints. But I certainly can be sympathetic and say that you want to see what that work would be and when it would be occurring. I do have to advise you that we do not believe there is anything such as a fraction of a duty day. A duty day is a duty day, and at the bargaining table the other side talks about fractions.

 

Admin: I donít want to be at the bargaining table. (Laughter)

 

FA: We did indicate in our discussion that a lot of that work is likely to happen at the end of the semester, before the beginning of next semester. And it certainly would provide us concentrated time to do the work necessary to get this done. We look forward to your response to that.

 

FA: Are you going to convene the steering committee?

 

Admin: Yes, but Iíll need a list because I didnít write down the names.

 

FA: Itís pretty simple. Itís actually me, and I want to go on record that Senate did not recommend additional compensation for me. (Laughter)

 

Admin: With good reason.

 

FA: Also, the faculty co-chair of Strategic Planning, because weíre seeing that as part of their duties related to strategic planning, so weíre giving you a special deal on this. And then you. Just three people.

 

Admin: Who is the third?

 

FA: You.

 

Admin: Do I get extra compensation for this? (Laughter)

 

FA: Iím wondering also if thereís something else regarding the Academic Plan that we need to know going into this beginning of rolling it outóthe academic planning process?

 

Admin: Is that a question?

 

FA: Well, I heard something today, and Iím just going to be really direct, that was upsetting to me. I went into my department meeting at noon and discovered that an appointment had been made that I knew nothing about, and that was the appointment of Suellen Rundquist to be a project manager on this Academic Plan, and then it would roll down into my department.

 

Admin: I had originally asked her, this was earlier on, to be of assistance in helping coordinate some of the work from the work groups to ensure that things are moving forward. Thatís all that was.

 

FA: Itís my understanding that itís a full-time move for her next semester.

 

Admin: Iíll check that. I think itís half time. Iíll check it.

 

FA: So, she would be moved over half time to your officeÖ

 

Admin: To work on the Academic PlanÖ

 

FA: And I want to be real clear here. I donít object to you having help on this, but what I object is moving into a huge project and presenting at Senate some sort of process and then having a huge piece of the project announced to me in my department meeting.

 

Admin: I guess youíre right about that. But it was to coordinate some of the activities, not to direct.

 

FA: So itís half time?

 

Admin: Let me check that.

 

FA: Can we get clarification of that?

 

Admin: Yes.

 

FA: Because it also includesÖ

 

FA: Tell us exactly what you heard in the meeting.

 

FA: I was told that Suellen Rundquist was moving out of that Associate Deanís position in our college into the Provostís officeóand, Michael Connaughton, if you would help if I get anything wrong, because you were there, tooóthat my chair is moving into the Deanís office, not as an Interim Associate Dean, but as a Interim Faculty Assistant to the Dean. The person elected as chair person next fall is moving into the chairís position, and then the Director of Comp who was elected to start next fall is moving into the Director of Compís position. So it sounds to me like itís pretty full-time work for Suellen. And, Iím not making any comment on the selection of her. What Iím commenting on is the transparency of this process when Senate has just made a recommendation based on information that I thought was current.

 

Admin: Let me get back to you on that.

 

FA: Michael, do you need to clarify anything that I said? Did I get it right?

 

FA: No.

 

FA: Especially FA concerns with Associate Deanís position. I realize that Bob Inkster isnít supposed to be an Associate Dean, but it seems to me that the communication about the staffing change in the Deanís office would be important.

 

Admin: Sure. Yes.

 

FA: Thank you.

 

6.    The Processes for Appointing FA Representation to College and University-level Committees under the IFO/MnSCU Master Agreement (FA) (10/18/07)

FA: We would like delay on this item simply because we need time to talk about the flow chart weíve developed. Weíve had two Senates in a row and no Executive Committee, so weíre hoping to bring that back next time, and I will let you know ahead of time whether or not weíll be ready to talk about it. Thank you.

 

7.    Early Notification System (FA) (10/18/07)

FA: Senate did discuss this matter and postponed action until the Senate meeting on the 13th of November.

 

FA: We had another motion.

 

FA: Yes we did. After the last Meet and Confer, we received a report about the pilot study that is pretty big. We need time to think about it and talk about it. Thatís why we decided to postpone until the next Senate meeting discussion about that so people could process that information. The second motion was that we asked that action around the matter of Early Notification System essentially stop until we have a chance to evaluate the information weíve gotten in line with our initial request. I did talk with Avelino Mills-Novoa about that today. He doesnít have any problem with waiting. We know that there is a window in which the system was open until the 26th or the 27th of October, and that window is closed, so we have a little bit of a breather before next semester to start up again. So, weíre assuming weíll bring back some sort of response to the information he provided.

 

NEW BUSINESS

2.    Administrative Searches (ADM) (10/18/07)

Admin: There are two searches that we needed representation on.

a.    Student Services Coordinator Search Committee for the American Indian Center

FA: Youíre requesting one person for the Coordinator Search Committeeóthatís a MSUAASF position also?

 

Admin: Yes.

 

b.    MSUAASF FTNP to assist the COB Dean

Admin: It says FTNP on the agenda, but that is incorrect. This is a MSUAASF temporary position, and there are no FTNPs in MSUAASF, to assist the COB Dean in accreditation and other projects while there is no Associate Dean in the college.

 

FA: So, it is my understanding we donít have an Associate Dean. Youíre requesting one.

 

Admin: We donít have one, but we have work that has to be done. So, this is to assist the Dean in getting that work done while we are engaged in the search for Associate Dean.

 

FA: So, this is a MSUAASF position, so you would be requesting one person?

 

Admin: Correct.

 

FA: Can you repeat what you said?

 

Admin: Okay. This is a temporary MSUAASF position to assist the COB Dean with accreditation and other matters because currently there is no Associate Dean in the college. This is to help get the work in those projects done.

 

FA: So, weíll put out a request and come back with a name for you.

 

Admin: Thank you.

 

3.† Service-Learning Faculty Reassignment: Call for Applicants

Admin: Thereís available one-course reassignment for someone to work with the faculty to coordinate between the Service-Learning office and the faculty. This is a request to call for applicants for that one, which might be extended.

 

FA: So, itís for next semester?

 

Admin: Itís for next semester.

 

FA: And we have a deadline here thatís pretty tight?

 

Admin: Weíll have to modify that. Weíll have to change the deadline because it took a little longer to get here than expected. Weíll extend that deadline a bit.

 

FA: Thereís a possibility of extending this reassigned time if funding is available?

 

Admin: Yes.

 

FA: And that comes out of your office, correct?

 

Admin: Yes.

 

FA: Do you have a deadline yet for this?

 

Admin: It depends on when we get this resolved here. So the deadline listed there is November 5th. So, I think weíll have to go beyond that to November 12th.

 

FA: I noticed under the deadline under applications and interviews, that there is no departmental sign off. In other words, the person could apply for this position, be selected then notify the department. Thatís pretty customary is it?

 

Admin: Shouldnít be.

 

FA: We had some of these issues with the CETL Director. What happens with the CETL Director when they leave their department, how they end up getting reviewed?

 

Admin: The CETL Director leaving the department is replaced by an external person. In that sense the department has a full-time person replacing that individual.

 

FA: So, here weíre talking about one-course replacement that the department would need to be aware of.

 

Admin: Right. That is part of the application.

 

FA: So, the person signs this agreement before applyingógetting departmental consent on the application?

 

Admin: It says application on it.

 

FA: Okay.

 

FA: So, youíre essentially notifying us that youíd like to go forward with this.

 

Admin: Yes.

 

Admin: Weíre setting November 12th instead of November 5th?

 

FA: Is the deanís signature here on the other side?

 

Admin: It just didnít fit on the page.

 

FA: Are we okay with going forward with that date?

 

FA: Sure.

 

FA: It looks like a fairly short application process. Weíll be curious to see how this works out.

 

Progress Reports on Long-term Concerns

1.    COE Climate Task Force (separated from Task Force on Diversity at the 8/30/07 Meet and Confer) (FA) (9/22/05)

FA: We took the Climate Taskforceís recommendation and the report from last spring to Senate. Two motions resulted from our discussion. The first one is to accept the recommendation for replacement of a co-chair in the COE Climate Taskforce, which involves a shift from an external co-chair to internal co-chair in one of those two positions. We also accepted the recommendation in terms of the person that they are nominating. The second motion is to accept the climate taskforceís report, and to ask the Administration to take the taskforceís recommendation seriously and to move forward toward resolution of the problem that the taskforce is addressing. There was some concern at Senate that we be successful in addressing the issues, but that we do that in as timely of fashion as is possible given the severity of the issues. That report does include 2008 closing date and timeline leading up to that. So, our recommendation is looking at that timeline, but also looking at the actions that they would like to do and having Administrative support of those actions.

 

Admin: One of the things that the report mentions is that the budget is forthcoming. We havenít received that yet. I think the idea of having a consultant is something that we should look into. There was also a recommendation for reassigned time for the co-chairs. I would like to see a work plan on what those individuals will be doing during the time that they are reassigned to support that request.

 

FA: I believe that reassigned time was part of the co-chairs role before, so I donít think that that is anything new. And, obviously one of the co-chairs is continuing the work; the other person is starting up now. They had been working under reassigned time before.

 

Admin: Thatís correct. Through the COE.

 

Admin: It still would be good to see a work plan of what they are doing.

 

FA: I believe that report had a work plan. They had laid out specific tasks and different timelines.

 

FA: Isnít it true that the co-chair is still on campus and employed at St. Cloud State and has been on medical leave?

 

Admin: The chair who has served in the past is on medical leave now. But I did have an informal meeting with the new chair and she expressed the desire to meet with the Provost and me to discuss our next steps. I think we will probably have a meeting next week. She was waiting for the Senate vote.

 

CAUCUS

FA: There are three points that weíd like to make about the COE charging the Climate Taskforce. One is weíd like to get clarification whether or not that taskforce has a budget, maybe from previous minutes if there is an agreement or not. Weíd like to get that point clarified as soon as we can so, one way or another, we know the status of the budget. Secondly, there is some concern that there is a motion from the Senate, which confirms an appointment and weíve been informed that meetings have been set up prior to the completion of this process, when only through action of this body the co-chair would be appointed. So, if any conversations took place prior to that, that would be a violation of this process because there was no co-chair until such time this meeting transpired. So, there is some concern about those kinds of follow ups taking place under the assumption that an action has been taken, which no action has been taken until such time where it is sanctioned by this meeting. Thirdly, if such a meeting takes place, itís been recommended that an external person would be present at those meetings as well, in the absence of the external co-chair.

 

Admin: As far as I know, the taskforce does not have a budget. I donít know if there are expenses that occurred last year. †

 

Admin: The only expenses last year were for reassigned time for individuals, I believe. Then the COE provided refreshments at a retreat.

 

FA: I believe what you said is that we should check the record of Meet and Confer that deals with how the question of †budget has been responded. Thatís what I thought I heard.

 

FA: We need to get clarification as to whether or not there has been any understanding or agreements on that, and if there hasnít been, thatís fine; if there has been, itís in the record. And, then, the second point is at the last Meet and Confer and our Senate committee deliberations, we were very careful to say that this matter arose in Faculty Senate, it should go back to Faculty Senate to be handled by the process that was in place. We respected that process, and that until such time that this body sanctions the action, something has transpired. And to learn that there were conversations and decisions made prior to the completing of this processÖ

 

Admin: What decision?

 

FA: To have meetings.

 

Admin: Perhaps my comments were misunderstood because there were no decisions made. I was at a luncheon, sitting next to a member of the taskforce, and we just talked about the progress that has been made. No decisions were made. The individual shared with me that she was interested in serving as co-chair, but had not been officially appointed yet. So, there werenít any meetings planned or anything. It was just more of an update on the progress.

 

FA: I thought you said you had a meeting with the co-chair?

 

FA: Thatís what she said.

 

Admin: No, I said an informal meeting in termsÖ

 

FA: Would it be appropriate for me to ask Polly to look back in the record?

 

Admin: Judy, I know I said informal meeting. It was more of a conversation. It may have been misunderstood.

 

FA: You said that you wanted to have a meeting with that person and that sounds inappropriate.

 

Admin: The individual was talking about needing reassigned time if this all worked out and I said, you know, Iíd have to talk with the Provost on this, and that we would probably have to have a meeting.

 

FA: As far as I understand it, the person who has been named as internal co-chair now was not previously a member of the committee. I was asked, as part of this process, if the taskforce should continue meeting, and my response in the agreement was that things really needed to hold off until Senate acted and brings the action back here, and we agree at Meet and Confer that thatís whatís going to happen. Until that action happens, really nothing has occurred, because you canít make plans on something that hasnít been agreed to. This really concerns me because this is really a breach of our process. And this is really an important taskforce that was charged with dealing with climate issues in the COE, and this whole conversation to me is an indication that those issues still exist.

 

Admin: May I ask a question? Have any taskforce meetings occurred?

 

Admin: To the best of my knowledge, they are occurring. But I think part of the problem is Iím not updated on whatís going on in the taskforce, and I feel like I should know.

 

Admin: Iím sorry, is the taskforce meeting?

 

FA: They told me they were not, temporarily, while this decision was made.

 

FA: From what I understand, theyíve been meeting this year, like every other week.

 

FA: Part of the reason that they asked the Dean not to come to the meeting had to do with the climate issues. They felt that that having the Dean there made it impossible to deal with some of the issues. Thatís why they did that. They sent a report to the Provost last spring that we did finally see this fall. They had reasons for doing that.

 

Admin: So, the taskforce has continued to meet?

 

Admin: Every other week.

 

Admin: Have you changed that in any way?

 

Admin: No.

 

Admin: So, apparently there has been no intervention in the practice of this group that has been commissioned.

 

FA: But, my concern comes with the statement about meeting with the co-chair of the committee, when that co-chair has not been appointed.

 

Admin: I understand. Has a co-chair been appointed?

 

FA: We were bringing forward the recommendation, which was to support the recommendation of the COE Climate Taskforce to appoint an internal co-chair with a name attached.

 

Admin: And the name was attached?

 

FA: Yes, but weíre bringing it forward today to support that request.

 

FA: Weíd like that if the external co-chair is not available that some other person fill in.

 

Admin: Thatís an additional recommendation?†††††††††††

 

FA: Yes. And we donít know who that person will be.

 

Admin: Okay.

 

FA: But, we think that would be appropriate.

 

FA: And temporary until that person returns.

 

Admin: And that would have to be a person not currently on the taskforce?

 

FA: Yes.

 

Admin: Because there is no other person external on the taskforce. So how would this person be identified?

 

FA: Weíd have to figure it out.

 

Admin: And when would we have a name?

 

FA: EC meets Tuesday.

 

FA: Unlike my colleagues on the Executive Committee, with the exception of Michael and Frances, they never saw the report that was given to the Provost and to the college in April. And my recollection of that report, was that it was very specific. It had timeframes laid out, the desire to bring in an outside consultant who was going to engage in activities this fall, and begin a process of reconciliation. And when the taskforce finished its work last year, I think they believed that this plan was going to be active. Unrelated to its actions, one co-chair took a position outside the university, the other co-chair at first indicated she wanted not to continue because of what was happening in her college. Robert has asked that you check the record. My recollection is that Iíve asked repeatedly about the budget for that group and the response I remember hearing is that there would be a budget. I heard the debate at Senate. As a member of that college, I ask, how long are we going to delay in acting? I think that taskforce did an excellent job at coming up with a strategy that needs to be implemented. And today I hear weíre still talking about whether or not weíre going to let them have reassigned time as co-chairs and whether or not theyíll have a budget to do the work they say needs to be done. Thatís trouble.

 

Admin: Can you read the last sentence?

 

FA: The last sentence says: ďOnce the external consultants are identified a proposed budget will follow.Ē That, to me, would imply the budget would be proposed, but whoís doing that work?

 

Admin: It was the taskforce that was to do it. The proposed budget has not come forward.

 

FA: I think part of what weíre looking at is the circumstance of timing. They made a report that went forward to your office. Then it went forward to the COE. Faculty Association didnít see it until we requested it at Meet and Confer and then we got it immediately. Then spring term ended, a person left, and weíre all of a sudden in a vacuum here, and needing help in moving forward with this. We have brought forward a recommendation that is, I think, a thoroughly discussed recommendation to have representation from the COE Climate Taskforce to come forward to Executive Committee. They also sent membership to Senate. Senate has strongly supported their work, has said letís make this happen. And now I think the ball is in your court, because we donít have any control over budget. We need an agreement to have some sort of other kind of replacement for a person who is on medical leave, temporarily.

 

Admin: In the spring, when this report was received, I said to the co-chairs, Iím waiting for the budget, and Iíd like to see what youíre going to propose, and weíll respond to it. That has not come forward.

 

FA: The point is that itís difficult to do that without leadership in the group. Once the external co-chairs are identified, the proposed budget will follow. If you donít have consultants identified, you donít know what they charge.

 

Admin: I understand that.

 

FA: A budget is speculative. My concern here is that the leadership from the taskforce is gone. Weíve got it in place now, at least. I think we need to figure out, do they have reassigned time or not? Is that a continued commitment from Administration to help with the serious issue in this college that they are working on very hard? And number two, how do we move from where we are to a budget and to some sort of process that will work and get the job done?

 

Admin: Judy, I made a commitment to the former external chair that she would have release time for the entire year. And we set it up with her college Dean. Then, at the last minute, she was called back into her college to do some work as department chair. Thatís where we ended up with that.

 

FA: Sheís agreed to continue.

 

Admin: Right. So, my commitment for support hasnít changed at all. Iím certainly willing to continue as we did last year and support reassigned time. I know that the Provost has supported that, too.

 

Admin: The taskforce was going to provide the names of individuals to serve as consultants and find out from them what their cost would be and let us know so we can then identify if we can support that or not. That was where this had been left. I donít remember when Frankie left campus, but she was availableÖ

 

FA: July 15.

 

Admin: So quite a bit after this time, but we hadnít heard from them, and so Iím waiting to hear what they want.

 

FA: Can we formally request a budget from that group now that they haveÖ Well, first of all, can we agree to the recommendation that weíre bringing forward from Senate in terms of the internal co-chair?

 

Admin: Yes.

 

FA: Okay. So, at that point we have at least one co-chair. We could, on Tuesday, in Executive Committee come forward with a recommendation for a temporary external person and let you know after that point. But, will you officially ask the taskforce for a budget, then?

 

Admin: Iíve already asked. But Iíll do it again.

 

FA: He just said he did it last spring.

 

FA: Okay.

 

Admin: Iíll reiterate that.

 

FA: Should the committee continue working or are they on hold until we get this sorted out?

 

Admin: Yes.

 

FA: So, they should keep meeting.

 

Admin: It seems to me in my observation there is a plank in the bridge missing. The plank in the bridge is perhaps between Administration and activities, and whatís going on. Originally, the Administration was part of the taskforce. Administration is no longer part of the taskforce. I think there is a need for a closer relationship in terms of discussion about what resources are necessary, and how to facilitate some of these. I donít know how we do it. But, I think we need to meet occasionally with the co-chairs to facilitate that. It doesnít have to be at the meeting, but somebody in Administration needs to carry that information forward, and a prod now and then.

 

FA: I donít think weíre objecting to the co-chairs meeting with the Dean. But what we were objecting to was that we hear that there was a meeting between the Dean and the co-chair who had not yet been appointed.

 

Admin: I understand that.

 

FA: So, weíll get back to you Tuesday with a recommendation. Thank you for waiting five minutes over.

 

Admin: Next item will wait until next time. Thank you, weíre adjourned.

 

2.    Intellectual property and releases from PR (FA) (08/30/07)ónot discussed.

 

MEETING ADJOURNED AT 5:06 PM

Submitted by Polly Chappell, Faculty Association Administrative Assistant