Final approved 5/16/06

Meet and Confer

May 4, 2006

Admin:  Roy Saigo, Michael Spitzer, Kristi Tornquist, Mitchell Rubinstein, Rex Veeder, Anne Zemek de Dominguez, Steve Ludwig, Margaret Vos, Larry Chambers

Faculty:  Judy Kilborn, Annette Schoenberger, JoAnn Gasparino, Susan Motin, Andrew Larkin, Robert Johnson, Balsy Kasi, Polly Chappell – Note taker

 

 

Approval of Minutes

 

Meet and Confer Notes of April 27, 2006

 

FA: We’re not ready to approve the Notes of April 27th. If it’s alright with the team, the Provost and I will both approve those and the ones for today so we can get them out to the campus community before next fall.

 

Unfinished Business

 

1.     Attendance Policy  (Admin) (9/08/05)

FA: So we’re moving onto Unfinished Business, item one, the Attendance Policy. And I believe that the Administration has a response to what we proposed.

 

Admin: Yes, we received the proposal from Faculty Senate. There were essentially two changes that we would like to make. One is kind of clarification of one of the reasons for wanting to have the policy, and the other is a change of words. So we want you to look at those.

 

FA: We obviously won’t be able to do anything about that today. We’ll need to take this back to Senate for their comments. But, I’m wondering if you have any questions or discussion?

 

Admin: Steve, can you maybe give a little background or highlight what we received at the last Board meeting?

 

Admin: Oh, on the financial aid?

 

Admin: Yeah.

 

Admin: We’ve attempted to determine the students’ last date of attendance so that we only return the funds that are appropriately returned to the federal government. And if the student is liable for those funds, we go back and bill the student, rather than just take it out of our resources. A year ago spring, we were late because we couldn’t get it resolved quickly enough. We had to write back to the faculty to confirm that there were changes in how they grade or what they say that means. So we got there on time this past fall semester, but we didn’t get all the information. So in some cases we sent the money back, and may have sent it back in error, in which case we can’t go back to the student and say, we sent your money back, you still have to pay us because they relied on what they did. And, so, most of the other institutions are sending the funds back and not going back after the students. We’ve been of the approach that we’d like accurate attendance records handled properly so that if we can, we can go back to the students and collect the funds that are appropriate. And we’d have good standing to do that. In the end, we’d prefer to have the students complete the course, stay engaged, you know, but that’s always going to be a little problem. There will always be some students who show up and decide it just isn’t for them and just leave. Or they have issues. That number in the spring, last spring, was about $110,000. Somewhat less, significantly less, in the summer.

 

FA: That had to be returned?

 

Admin: Um hum.

 

Admin: Plus they had an audit. And so our name was up in front of the Board of Trustees and all the visitors.

 

Admin: Right. For the lateness, and so we’ve moved ahead to just send it back so we don’t… it’s kind of what you choose. Do you choose to be late? Or do you choose to send some money back that you think maybe you shouldn’t have? So, we’re going to be on time. That’s what they were focused on. We would like to have accuracy. And we’re setting up a more automated system to contact the faculty about the grades that we’re concerned about so that we can get it out to them quickly, and hopefully get responses more quickly, and make it less kind of hand work in the business office.

 

Admin: And having these accurate will enable us to process what we need to more quickly and lose as little money as possible.

 

Admin: And also have the legitimacy to bill the student if they fail on their end of the bargain, which was to attend school. We’ll have the series of grades that shows they did not.

 

FA: Any other discussion or questions? So we’ll take this back to Senate and get comments.

 

Admin: You’ll let me know after the next Senate meeting?

 

FA: I’ll let you know after the next Senate meeting, assuming we get to it. But I will put it on the agenda.

 

2.     Task Forces on Diversity (a.k.a. Motion from Teacher Development) (FA) (9/22/05)

FA: The next item is Task Forces on Diversity. I’m wondering if there is anything new.

 

Admin: Well, there is something new to be said about COE Task Force meeting, which is sort of developing into a testing ground for the larger group. We’re meeting in a longer session before the end of this semester--I believe it’s on the 15th, I’m not exactly sure, I’d have to check my calendar—to develop the ground rules for how we’re going to conduct some of the discussions. And so we’ve been meeting on a regular basis and there’s a lot of relationship building going on, a lot of structural things being worked out. Frankie and Jeff are doing a good job, and we’re also expecting to have one other person join the facilitator’s group, a person of color. So we’re moving ahead. These lessons I know will be taken over to a larger group. There is no progress on the university-wide task force. The plan will be to develop it this summer and to move to a full meeting of the group in September.

 

FA: Okay. So we can figure out in the fall then?

 

Admin: In the fall there will be a meeting. There will be progress with that university-wide group. Hopefully, the other group will continue to work this summer. And, as you know, some of the people involved in the COE group are also working on the larger task force so we’re sharing, and discussing some of the things, and trying to make it work better.

 

FA: Any questions or discussion?

 

FA: We’re glad to see you back, Rex.

 

Admin: Oh, well thank you. As I said, Michael asked me about coming today. I said, I need a good dose of Meet and Confer. (Laughter) Thank you. Actually, it is nice to be here.

 

FA: I have some Aleve if you need to take it.

 

FA: Anything more on that item?

 

3.     Academic Freedom Committee Report Recommendations (FA) (02/02/06)

 

FA: Okay, moving right along to Academic Freedom Committee Report Recommendations. I believe we were waiting for an Administrative response on what we’ve proposed.

 

Admin: Yeah, right. And I would like us to add two Administrators to that committee in addition to the membership identified.

 

FA: Is that okay folks?

 

FA: Total of three?

 

Admin: Um hum.

 

FA: Okay. So a total of three. That sounds reasonable. And we’ll need to elect our membership if you’re accepting the recommendation from faculty; we’ll need to ask for our representation in the fall. Are you prepared to give us some names now, or would you like to give us those in the fall too?

 

Admin: In the fall.

 

FA: Okay. So we’ll start up that group then after we’ve established membership in the fall. Okay, so, leave that on then?

 

FA: Yeah, so I remember.

 

Admin: Sure.

 

4.     Upper Division Writing Requirement Status Report (FA) (03/02/06)

FA: In terms of the Upper Division Writing Requirement, we wanted to give you a status report. At Senate next week, Executive Committee will recommend that we constitute the ad hoc Upper Division Writing Requirement Assessment Committee for one more year so that they can complete their tasks. Of course Senate will need to act on that.

 

Admin: Okay.

 

5.     Maintaining Class Records (Admin) (03/02/06)

FA: Item number five, Maintaining Class Records. We had asked for your response.

 

Admin: Yeah, I have your policy. I think there was some misunderstanding with what we were trying to propose, with regard to this issue. The policy that the Senate approved seems to focus on the grade appeal policy, which wasn’t what we were attempting to address. Rather, the issue that we were looking at had to do, not so much with if the student wanted to get a grade change two weeks after the end of the semester, but rather a student who for various reasons comes back to the university after being absent for a year and says, I got called up to military duty, and I forgot to withdraw from my classes, and now I want a late withdrawal. Or she has had some medical issues that caused the student to cease attendance, and she is requesting a late withdrawal from a course—not a grade change, so much as a withdrawal. And I asked Mitch to put together some examples of the kinds of issues that have arisen that we could sort of fill you in on so that you understand a little more clearly what it was that we’re trying to get.

 

FA: Why would we need grade records for a late withdrawal?

 

Admin: Well, what if the student isn’t really doing a late withdrawal?

 

FA: You just lost me. If somebody’s doing a withdrawal, all we need to know is that they were registered at some point in the course. And wouldn’t Records and Registration have that?

 

Admin: Right. But maybe the student spent the whole semester in class and earned an F by working real hard at it.

 

FA: Oh…

 

FA: So you would want verification that the student had in fact disappeared?

 

Admin: In that case.

 

Admin: Or the last date of attendance could be important if we’re establishing tuition rebates. Before a certain date, the rebate would be different, more or less than an earlier or later date.

 

FA: But if the student is claiming that they were called up for military service, they should have some proof of that.

 

Admin: That was just one example.

 

FA: Sickness? They should be able to prove that.

 

Admin: They can prove it. It’s just that when did they stop attending? They might say, I became ill and I have these letters, and it might be a lie. They might have attended for another week or so before the notice took over. So having a last day of attendance from as many as five, six years earlier could be important. We have some instances here, issues that came up earlier this semester or late fall, going back to 2001.

 

FA: So you give money back all the way back to 2001?

 

Admin: If they can establish that they had to leave before the cut off date.

 

FA: So if, in fact, somebody leaves the university, and they leave a contact, then they might not even be where they were when they left the contact six years later, right? Okay, so we’re going seven years ago, right? Let’s say somebody is in a class seven years ago. There’s an adjunct teaching it. That person leaves contact information, which is what the policy would allow them to do. Now this person comes in for a late withdrawal. That person who taught that class may not be where he or she said he or she could be contacted. How far back do you want this policy to be written for?

 

Admin: That’s something we need to resolve. But what I’m pointing out is that we have cases that go back as many as five years. So, one year’s retention might be too little. We might want to consider a longer period of time that we keep these records, have these records available.

 

Admin: Don’t most faculty keep their record books? I still have mine.

 

FA: There are space issues.

 

Admin: Mine are ya-by-ya.

 

FA: I know, but there is no policy right now. It’s a very common question for people to ask, how long you keep records. I’m like Michael; I have them back to ’85.

 

Admin: I kept mine because Susan Motin will write me a note and say, do you remember me? I was in your Intro to Biology. I’m now applying for medical school.

 

Admin: That’s another issue.

 

Admin: And my maiden name was such-and-such. So I’ll go back because I’ll have forgotten. And so then I’ll say, you know, very good student, very solid, blah, blah, blah, and took this course, that course.

 

FA: I think that you’re probably right that many faculty members do keep them. I think the issue isn’t with the faculty members who do; it’s with those who don’t. I think we need to know exactly what information do you need? Do you need all the grades and all assignments? Or do you just need the last day that we know that they turned something in or the last recorded date of attendance? Because if that’s all you need, you can make that information be something that is filled in on the grade sheet and then you have it. This is an issue for departments, the grade appeals. What is it you actually need? Because it seems to me if you’re asking for people’s grade books, you’re asking for more than you need.

 

Admin: Maybe if you can cite some of the examples we can determine what it is.

 

Admin: Okay, here’s one talking about receiving additional medical documentation. This came in, in November 2005. Actually that’s the same semester. This came in late winter 2005 or spring 2006, request for retroactive withdrawal of classes in the spring 2001 and spring 2004 for documented extenuating medical condition. And they were able to establish the last date of attendance for the year 2001 and thereby granted the withdrawal for the course. Another medical case, again, these were last date of attendance issues, to determine the amount of reimbursement for tuition in the spring 2005, so it would be about a year earlier.

 

FA: But you don’t need anything more than the last date of attendance, right?

 

Admin: Not in these particular issues.

 

FA: The policy that we gave you deals with when you need more than that, more information. So I think that these are two separate issues. They’re kind of linked in a way.

 

Admin: I see your point. Part of it is that there are also circumstances in which we want to talk to the faculty member to confirm some things. Students will often, and it’s not that we don’t believe students---

 

FA: They lie.

 

Admin: ---but we need to sometimes contact the faculty members to confirm what happened. And sometimes it helps if they can refresh their memory about a particular student in a particular semester. Most of these are medical withdrawals, some of them withdrawals… two or three cases we had when students whose roommates tried to commit suicide or committed suicide, and those kinds of things. And they don’t think about withdrawing from these courses sometimes. They just leave. And then they come back two years later, and say, you know, I had a bad time. They can usually document those things. But sometimes we just need to talk with the faculty members. It may be very often that the last date of attendance is all we need. But sometimes for the faculty member’s sake, it’s good to be able to talk about the student a little bit in those iffy situations.

 

FA: What are some of the other universities doing about this? Have we looked at some other policies? I think that would be useful. And the other thing, what I’m hearing is, our policy is starting toward that road. I think if we have grades in there, right? And leaving your contact information, and then, as long as we make it clear that they need to have grades and last date of attendance? But then do we have a number of years on that because I think the other thing is, yeah, it’s true, what happens when the adjunct person goes away and their contact information is no longer available.

 

FA: Rex was bringing up the issue of wanting to talk with faculty. And one thing that we talked about in Senate is when somebody leaves the institution, they don’t really have any vested interest in being available.

 

Admin: Right.

 

FA: So let’s say now that we have somebody, let’s say that they weren’t retained. Let’s say that they leave a contact thing. Three years later, somebody comes in for one of these withdrawals. I mean, why should they even make themselves available? And I’m not sure how we would provide a contact. Even if they’ve retired or are adjunct, fixed-term, or something like that, three or four years from now, they may not be in the same place, and I don’t know how we would ensure that.

 

Admin: We’ve had instances of faculty members who’ve left and refused to respond. To go back and answer Susan’s question. I think the traditional period of time that universities like to keep these things is three years.

 

FA: Three?

 

Admin: And I would suggest that we ask people if they leave to turn in their grade books. Leave them in the department office in case something comes up along these lines that needs to be checked. And I would add to one of the categories that’s not included here, although it may be under adjunct, it would be teaching assistants.

 

Admin: I was just going to say that.

 

FA: Is that what you were going to say?

 

Admin: That was just what I was going to say. Teaching assistants and adjuncts and fixed-term folks, you know, they come and go. I know some departments do this automatically. I don’t know if all departments do.

 

FA: Were there any other concerns that you had about this?

 

Admin: Those were the main ones. I guess one of the other areas that we want to be able to address, and this is a different type, we talked about this when we had the discussion last time, some faculty giving students Incompletes because they don’t want to give them Fs. (Laughter)

 

FA: Isn’t that a separate issue?

 

Admin: Yes.

 

FA: It’s not maintaining class records. If that’s a separate topic you want to discuss, we certainly can put that on a later agenda.

 

Admin: Well, I don’t want to conflate it with this issue.

 

FA: That’s true.

 

Admin: It was the faculty who said it, not the Administrators.

 

FA: Well, I do think that a lot of your problem would be resolved if there was just a way of knowing the last date of attendance for a bunch of them, not all of them. I go to this website and punch in the grade, and if there is a student that stopped coming, and I’m going to give that student an F, and there could be a blank there that could be filled in that I’m giving that person an F, and I could put in there what date they stopped coming.

 

Admin: There is an F for not attending.

 

FA: But it doesn’t have the last day they attended.

 

Admin: I thought there was a place to put the last date of attendance based on that non-attendance.

 

FA: But this is for D grades too, and even C grades, so essentially any grade.

 

FA: Yeah, let’s say that somebody attends most of the semester but they quit at a certain point.

 

Admin: It would be a C instead of an A or something?

 

FA: Yeah, right. We go in and put in a last date of attendance at one point, but that doesn’t show up necessarily. I’m wondering if there’s some way we could capture that so it’s actually in the system and could be pulled out of the system.

 

Admin: That would take care of 95%.

 

FA: It would be nice to have it in the system so we don’t have to worry about how many years we have to keep records.

 

FA: Exactly. I agree. If what you really need is the last day.

 

FA: What percentage of cases are we talking about? How many requests do you get in a semester?

 

Admin: 20. 25.

 

FA: Only 25 out of 15,000 students?

 

Admin: And there are more… I suppose there are other kinds of requests. You know, these are just the withdrawals we’re talking about.

 

FA: My second question would be if we’re trying to put in the last date of attendance when we’re doing grades. So someone gets a C when they had an A average and they withdraw for some reason, how do we indicate the last day of attendance at that point? It’s getting extremely complex and complicated and creating a lot of extra work for faculty that may or may not give you the results that you want. I guess the third question is how have you handled this in the past?

 

FA: I have one question and two observations that came out of Senate’s discussion. One is do any of these people—I’d like to ask the question and then make a comment—do any of these people who come in for withdrawal actually have grades in the class that they are withdrawing from, or are they Fs? Because if they’re all Fs, and they’re Fs because they quit attending, if we could figure out a way to capture this in the system, it would take care of it, and then we wouldn’t need to do that with other grades besides Fs. You understand what I’m saying? So are they always people who’ve gotten Fs for the course?

 

Admin: Mostly. I’ll say mostly. There are some students who come in who got really low grades because they got sick at the last moment.

 

FA: So they got Ds or Fs? And weren’t happy with them?

 

Admin: Yeah, it’s a small percentage.

 

FA: Because there are two serious issues here, I think, that faculty brought up. One of them is just plain storage. If you get all the grade reports for all the people who leave, you know all their grade records, you’re talking about storage issues, and I don’t know about what your department offices look like. We don’t have too much extra space where I am. Okay, so there’s a space issue. Secondly, one of the reasons why they wrote in the policy contact name and gave the ability for people to leave grade records if they want to is that some faculty may feel really uncomfortable giving their grades over to somebody else. They really feel those are, it’s an ownership thing, and a privacy thing, too, really. And so that’s the other concern with actually physically keeping, you know, handing the records over to departments.

 

Admin: I don’t understand the privacy issue. The grades go out. They’re public. In many institutions the faculty routinely turn in their grades to their departments.

 

FA: They are private to the individual students. So if those grade books are kept in a non-secure spot.

 

Admin: You keep it in a file cabinet that has a lock.

 

FA: Do you know what the locks on the file cabinets are getting now? They all have the same lock. Do you know how much it costs to have that lock changed? It’s like $100 to get somebody to come in and put a different lock in there. So it’s not… And we get charged for that.

 

Admin: And rightly so. (Laughter)

 

FA: How did we handle this in the past? If I recall, I would be contacted, I would talk to someone, and---

 

Admin: Right. I don’t know how many of the complaints, questions, or requests that come into the Academic Affairs office deal with this particular thing, but Kathy Kelly does at least 30 to 50 of these a week of various kinds. And then when she can’t resolve them, they get handed off to somebody. It used to be Lin but now, more recently, it’s been Rex and Mitch and Christine Imbra. And they don’t have the experience with that that Lin had to give precise examples. But there have been a number these, and what happens then is the person handling the issue has to track it down, and it takes a lot of time. You’re talking about workload, and we’re talking about that person’s workload, where they could spend hours on a particular case trying to track down the information that’s necessary to come to a conclusion. And so this is intended to facilitate that process and provide better service to students and less work for the individual. And less frustration for a number of people involved.

 

FA: Any other discussion?

 

FA: I don’t see a problem giving the grades, but some people are not comfortable.

 

FA: I think we’re just talking grade books.

 

FA: Just finals right?

 

Admin: Um hum.

 

FA: We could implement grade appeals. And continue to work on this, because to me they’re related, but that solves the problem that we have.

 

Admin: Right.

 

FA: Concerning grade appeals, now we have this other problem that we need to solve as well. We might extend that. For better understanding, we could take this back to Senate and bring it to you next fall and continue to work on this.

 

Admin: So we could call this a policy on retaining class records for grade appeals?

 

FA: If you like. But even doing that might help with the problem.

 

Admin: It might.

 

FA: But if we don’t do anything at all, we haven’t moved forward in any way to solve either one of these problems.

 

FA: And so we could also rename it and say that this is a working draft, and we’ll come back with a revision with it too.

 

FA: Yeah, or implement that for like two years and then…

 

FA: But Senate approved it.

 

FA: Nothing that’s been said today in anyway tells me or gives me a reason why we wouldn’t want to do that.

 

Admin: Just add the TAs to it.

 

FA: Yeah, we will. Does it have fixed-term?

 

Admin: It says adjunct, fixed-term, and permanent.

 

FA: Yeah, it should say TAs as well I think.

 

FA: So if we make those changes, if we add TAs and if we call this instead Policy on Maintaining Grade Records for Grade Appeals, that we could go ahead with this for now?

 

Admin: Yeah.

 

FA: And the idea is that we’ve had either a separate policy to supplement or additions to this policy in the fall?

 

Admin: Correct. Yes.

 

FA: So I can make those changes and send this off to you?

 

Admin: Yes.

 

FA: Okay.

 

FA: And if we decide… if we figure out a committee to do this, then Mitch and Rex would be willing to consult with that committee?

 

Admin: Okay.

 

FA: Was that a yes, Rex?

 

Admin: What’s that?

 

FA: If we figure out a committee to look at this, would you be willing to consult with them?

 

Admin: Certainly. Absolutely.

 

FA: Okay.

 

Admin: Can I just add that we have Kathy Kelly involved in that conversation?

 

Admin: Yes, Kathy Kelly will have to be---

 

Admin: She’s the first-line person in this.

 

FA: So should we take this off for now then?

 

FA: Leave it on for fall.

 

FA: Leave it on for fall.

 

FA: Leave it on for fall as a reminder.

 

Admin: Otherwise we won’t have an agenda. (Laughter)

 

FA: Is there anybody else that—I have Mitch, Rex, and Kathy Kelly—is there anybody else who’d be…

 

Admin: Christine.

 

FA: Christine?

 

FA: Christine.

 

Admin: Christine.

 

Admin: I think that the three of you could represent all the issues.

 

FA: Okay.

 

FA: Okay. So are we onto the next item then?

 

Admin: Yes.

 

6.     SCSU Report on Offering Online Courses (FA) (03/30/06)

FA: Item six. We essentially just want to thank you for this report, and ask if we could get reports like this annually.

 

Admin: Sure.

 

FA: Thank you. So we’ll take this one off then.

 

Admin: Do you want those automatically, or will you request them annually?

 

FA: No, we want them automatically.

 

FA: We would like them automatically. Somebody could put a tickler as a reminder to send those off to the FA once a year.

 

7.     Template on Teaching Schedule/Contact Hours (FA) (10/20/05)

FA: Template on Teaching Schedule/Contact Hours. I believe you wanted to bring in this draft?

 

Admin: Kristi, do you have those?

 

Admin: Right.

 

FA: I did print out for our side what you sent me earlier today.

 

Admin: That’s the same thing.

 

Admin: So everybody has them?

 

FA: The one dated 5/4/06?

 

FA: That’s the same one.

 

Admin: I thought it was good to add a date. So the committee met. It was Steve Hornstein and John Palmer and Roland and me. We met twice, I think. You guys saw another version of this, I think, that John wrote.

 

FA: Um hum.

 

Admin: And Steve wrote a version. You guys saw that version too? Academic Affairs reviewed it and had some changes that you see in this one.

 

FA: So the changes in this document represent the response from Academic Affairs?

 

Admin: My understanding from the little committee that we were both taking the draft that Steve put together, he was taking it to Executive Committee, and we were taking it to Academic Affairs, and then we came back with some recommended changes.

 

FA: And those are in here?

 

Admin: Those are in here, yes. We didn’t hear from Steve or John what happened on the faculty side.

 

FA: Steve was sick on Tuesday.

 

Admin: Oh, okay.

 

FA: So he wasn’t there. And, in fact, he said that he didn’t know that it was ready to go to us yet. So there was some question about whether or not the committee had approved what was there. So you’re saying that they had?

 

Admin: Not in my understanding, no.

 

FA: The group of four hadn’t decided that they were comfortable with the… they just decided to get feedback on that?

 

Admin: That was my understanding, yes.

 

FA: So why is this here?

 

Admin: I sent it to you guys and said when you were ready to bring it, go ahead. I think that’s what I said in the email.

 

FA: Well, we misunderstood that.

 

Admin: I sent a committee copy to you.

 

FA: Um hum.

 

Admin: Because I thought, well, because John was… or Steve was copying you when it went out, so I thought I’d copy you too.

 

FA: So this draft represents Academic Affairs editing of---

 

Admin: Steve’s draft.

 

FA: Steve’s draft?

 

Admin: Yeah.

 

FA: Is there a committee draft?

 

Admin: Um, Steve talked about what should be in there. He said I’ll write this up. We agreed we’d take what we talked about in the group that he wrote up; we’d each take it to our respective sides.

 

Admin: I think the changes that were made to it in Academic Affairs were mostly stylistic with the exception of the last sentence.

 

Admin: Yes. That was an addition.  

 

FA: We’ll have to talk to him about it.

 

Admin: My sense was there was an attempt to move quickly, which is why we made sure we discussed it quickly. I didn’t know there was a misunderstanding.

 

FA: Well the miscommunication probably is partially due to the fact that Steve was sick when we met to talk about this, but even so, we won’t be ready for a fast response on this. We’ll take it to Senate, which we need to do, and I don’t know if we’ll have a response by the end of the semester or not.

 

Admin: We were just trying to do due diligence on what the committee felt---

 

FA: I understand. Were there any other questions? Okay. So, we’ll put this on the Senate agenda.

 

8.     Parking (Admin) (04/27/06)

FA: And we’re to item eight, Parking. And, obviously Steve wasn’t here when we got this parking overview for fiscal year 2006-2008 budget proposal. So we wanted to have this on the agenda so we could ask questions and you could talk about this, too.

 

Admin: Sure. This little spreadsheet is similar to what we used in the last few years. And it’s pretty consistent to what we’ve proposed when we were talking about the parking ramp a couple years ago, and then we moved forward with that. That’s a material change to what we’ve done in the past. And so those rates that we talked about, we are moving forward on the parking ramp now. And, so, this reflects how that will add… We’re also moving forward on the purchase of some property from the city that we allowed for in our budget to expand Q lot, which is the overnight student lot on the south end of campus. And it’s some property that we had hoped to acquire down there for some time. It’s city property. It’s more or less surrounded by university property. So we’re working with them on that also.

 

FA: There are these lines in here. It says FY 2006 current rates. 450, 1305, 2600, 250. There’s nothing that indicates what they’re associated with. So there are 450 what? What lots are those in? What are the 1305 lots, I mean, what kind of…?

 

Admin: Oh, that’s the number of permits. Yes.

 

FA: Yeah. So is it just like I draw my hand in a bucket, and I might get one of the permits that’s going to cost me 210?

 

Admin: No. No. It’s the permits… the 445 are the gated lots, right. So it’s the same as the parking for faculty and staff.

 

FA: Okay. So what’s the 1305? What lots are those?

 

Admin: 1305 are the rest of the parking stalls that are for sale generally above 10th Street, but it also includes the parking stalls around the boiler plant. And then the 105 is K and Q lots, south of the Hockey Center. And the 48 are parking permits that are good after 3:00 p.m. They are some adjunct faculty but they’re mostly students that come in the evening.

 

FA: Because there are some, I mean…

 

Admin: If you go to 2008, it shows 200 permits in the first line. It says ramp permits that we used as its label. So those are overnight parking permits in the ramp proposed at 350 for students.

 

FA: So how much is it going to cost to build the ramp?

 

Admin: The total cost including the land acquisition around those houses is about nine million dollars.

 

FA: Okay. So how much does it cost for just a regular parking permit?

 

Admin: Well, there is no cost identified. The most expensive parking would be K lot because K lot also, if you want to associate the specific cost with it, it’s the shuttle service, which isn’t required. So our pricing structure has never reflected specifically the cost in maintaining a particular stall. But it’s represented to a certain extent in the convenience of the stall, too. And so we’ve broken even, if you will, with this 210, 185, 105, and 48 rate. And so we’re adding another, some additional stalls, and some greater convenience by having 525 stalls on that lot close in to campus.

 

FA: I’m going to ask the same question I asked last week. That is the funding has to be completely separate from the other funds? Is that correct?

 

Admin: The parking operations are supposed to be kept separate. They do allow us, through capital funding, so when we built the Miller Center, that parking lot was paid for out of cost. The Miller Center. And they do allow, it has to do with land acquisition and some development out of operating funds, development of some parking out of operating funds, but the operations certainly is to be out of the fees for parking.

 

FA: So we paid for this corner, this ramp, those three houses was that…?

 

Admin: Those three houses were included in the budget for the overall nine million dollars for the parking ramp. And it came out of funds, local funds, from the university that we budgeted.

 

FA: What do you mean the local budget? I’m asking---

 

Admin: Tuition and state appropriations.

 

FA: So it does come out of tuition?

 

Admin: Those funds to acquire those houses came out of tuition and state appropriations. We set aside some funds, about half of the cost including the land acquisition, from our operating budget as a one-time fund two years… as a one-time investment two years ago. And then the other half we got through revenue from revenue bonds.

 

FA: So the construction of that---

 

Admin: And it’s not the entire cost of construction itself. It’s around seven million---

 

FA: How much of that’s coming off the nine million?

 

Admin: Of the nine million, about half is bonding and about half is revenue funds. And so---

 

FA: What’s revenue?

 

Admin: Revenue bonds.

 

FA: Okay, so that’s bonds?

 

Admin: Correct. And of the nine million about 600,000 was the land acquisition. And then there’s surveys, testing, architects, engineers fees in addition to the cost of construction. And there were some bond issuance costs.

 

FA: I have another question about this. There was a rather impressive pine tree that was bulldozed---

 

Admin: It also had been struck by lightning and was dead on top.

 

FA: Well, my question is, do we have an inventory of campus trees?

 

Admin: No.

 

FA: My students asked me in environmental studies, what happened to that tree?

 

Admin: We took the tree down.

 

FA: Are you going to replace it?

 

Admin: We plant far more trees than we remove, and we planted a lot of trees around the Miller Center where there was a parking lot. And we planted a lot of trees down by the stadium, which that was kind of open space, and the Rec Center down there. So, we continue to plant trees. We do take some out, some in central campus as they conflict with each other, and we do have a lot of silver maples, which are not from the point of view of the campus, not long-life trees. But they’re quick to fill in. And, we’ve struggled with the mall here, adjacent to Atwood. It used to have crab apples. We removed those and planted pine trees, which really weren’t successful there, and not very attractive by most standards. And we’re going back to deciduous trees. We lost those so we can replace those. We did lose a tree just south of Centennial this spring. We plant more trees than we lose. And we try to pay particular attention, if we can, to the oaks. Although a lot of the oaks are rotten in the center, so we have taken some that have threatened to fall even though they look pretty good. We’ve had a problem. But we plant far more trees.

 

FA: A good idea for the botany program to have the students inventory the campus.

 

Admin: They did that at Winona. It’s a smaller area.

 

FA: Yeah.

 

Admin: We’ve also been taking out—we manage the Sand Prairie Wild Life Area with the DNR—and they’ve been taking out lots of box elders. They are establishing that as a prairie rather than a forest because a certain inclination towards trees versus prairie, but I think that’s the right decision to take that back to what it had been.

 

FA: I appreciate the environmental considerations.

 

Admin: There are some. I mean, in the context of a parking ramp---

 

FA: That you’re planting more than you’re taking out.

 

Admin: Yes. Substantially.

 

FA: Anything else regarding the parking ramp? Any questions or explanations? Steve, did you have a chance to explain what you wanted to here?

 

Admin: Oh, yes. I’m happy to answer your questions and appreciate the conversation.  

 

Admin: When are you starting to put some footings in?

 

Admin: Next winter depending on weather. We got the designer on board now. The Board office has agreed to the contractor so, ____ and Associates. It’s quite an accomplished parking ramp designer. It’s done some ramps near the University of Minnesota. And I’ve never met anybody so enthused about parking ramps. (Laughter) It’s really quite remarkable.

 

FA: So what’s going to happen to that piece of land that you just… If you’re not going to start the parking ramp until…?

 

Admin: Oh, the parking lot that’s the pay lot right now, which is the north end of that block, will be overnight parking for students for the fall semester. The parking lot between Holes and Stearns and Stateview, which is overnight parking now, that will become the pay lot to replace that next year. The pay lot will remain in place there until the ramp is finished, and the ramp essentially replaces the pay lot expansion. And when the students move out, we’ll have developed some additional surface parking on this land we plan to purchase from the city adjacent to the present Q lot, which is available for overnight parking. And in the end, that pay lot will return to overnight parking for students is the expectation. And a substantial portion of the ramp is expected to be overnight parking for students. And we’ll kind of manage that as we see what the demand is and how it plays out over time. I wonder as the price of gas increases and everything, what’s… how’s that going to shape, but we’ll see.

 

FA: Northstar Corridor. Support the Northstar Corridor. Phase I gets to Big Lake it looks like.

 

Admin: Yes.

 

FA: How many levels?

 

Admin: Four or five.

 

FA: Four or five. The students have been asking.

 

Admin: And then on the south end of the ramp, across the street from the Miller Center, is some landscaped space, but also the Public Safety office will be there. So it will be adjacent to the parking ramp. They’ll move out of that house that they’re in, and when we move that house, there will be more parking.

 

FA: Thank you.

 

FA: What’s the target date for opening? And another question is for cost overruns, the money is allocated for it?

 

Admin: Cost overruns? We’ve got about four, four-and-a-half percent contingency in the budget for construction. So about $350,000, $400,000. $300,000. And it should open, I’ll say, February of ‘08 give or take. I’m a little apprehensive about what the weather is going to be like next winter. It’s poured in place concrete structure most likely, and it’s a little weather contingent to do that.

 

FA: Anything else? I think we can take this one off the agenda.

 

9.     CETL Reporting Structure (FA) (4/27/06)

FA: And we’re on to item nine, CETL Reporting Structure.

 

Admin: Yeah, I’m not ready to respond on that one. I’m still working on it.

 

FA: Okay. So, we’ll keep that on for next time.

 

10. Membership of International Student Services Committee (FA) (4/27/06)

FA: Item 10, Membership of the International Students Services Committee.

 

Admin: We accepted the recommendation we have from faculty.

 

FA: Question about that. How do we transmit that information since we’re not the people who are being added? Do you have any notions?

 

Admin: How do we let them know who the…?

 

FA: Well, I can let the International Student Services Committee know that you’ve accepted their recommendation. But, I simply do that and let them notify?

 

Admin: Well, the additional membership consists of students. They’ll notify the President.

 

FA: There are also other bargaining units included in the staff.

 

Admin: Right. I’ll notify them too.

 

FA: Okay. Thank you very much. Now did you want to move the agenda to item five so that Lisa can go away? (Laughter) And doesn’t have to sit here for the rest of this?

 

Admin: Yeah, we want Lisa to go away.

 

FA: So you want item four also?

 

Admin: Yeah.

 

FA: Okay. So we’re moving the agenda to item four then?

 

Admin: Do you need her for item one too?

 

Admin: Sorry?

 

Admin: Did you want her to speak to number one too?

 

FA: Okay. So, we’re actually not moving the agenda.

 

Admin: We’re skipping two and three for a few minutes.

 

FA: Yes, we’re skipping two and three and we’ll go to one.

 

Admin: Okay.

 

New Business

 

1.     Data Advisory Committee (Admin) (05/04/06)

Admin: There is a request that has come forward for faculty representation on a Data Advisory Committee. One of the things that we’re going to be working on is looking at the academic summary book and some of the other data that’s collected and reported on, on campus. Part of the Strategic Planning process has been that we’ve identified a number of performance measures, and we’re going to have to go through it and gather that data and go through a way to report it, probably through a website. And so I’ve asked for representatives from each college to work with me on that to ensure that the data that’s recorded is accurate for the college and to identify the data sources for some of those measures. So we’re looking at a Data Advisory Committee to make sure that that information is accurate.

 

FA: I’ve asked Robert to speak to this.

 

FA: Okay. So are you asking us then, I mean, well, are you asking us to submit, you’re asking us for membership on that committee then?

 

Admin: A letter went forward to Judy identifying five faculty, a member from each college, based on special expertise.

 

FA: I think the question is, we need to appoint the members through our regular appointing process. And so if you’re asking for membership on the committee, we would have to identify six members from the colleges to be on that committee. Now I think you may be trying to request special expertise in accordance with article six. And article six reads that that would be done in addition to the committee membership. Additional members can be requested for special expertise. So, if you’re asking that those five members constitute the committee, then it would be basically a violation of the contract. That would be the first point. If you’re asking us to appoint members, then we would take that back and identify members to serve on that committee. Secondly, what special expertise is required?

 

Admin: What we’re looking for is someone who has specific knowledge of the data needs for the college, a background in research or data collection for the disciplines within the college, so that they would be able to provide that information by the data and then look at how it’s communicated and put together in the summary book, how it’s put out on the web, how it’s communicated. So, we’re looking for someone who would have specific background in that area based on the college.

 

FA: So we wouldn’t know whether or not that expertise comes forth from our call for membership on this committee or not until people submit their names and they’re approved by the Senate.

 

Admin: I thought it would be simpler to identify individuals and move forward with the committee.

 

FA: Well, when I look at the list, there are two issues concerning the list. Special Services is missing. And also, one of the members of this list isn’t a faculty member. We’re certainly not saying they could not be appointed based on special expertise, but the processes that Robert’s pointing to require a committee be formed, and then people be added. And, if you would be willing to do that, we certainly could expedite this.

 

Admin: Sure.

 

FA: We would be willing to ask for names very quickly and to appoint them through Senate this coming Tuesday.

 

Admin: And I recognize that Mary Soroko, in particular, isn’t a faculty member. In the conversation with the COB, she is their data person. She manages their information and their data bases. So she would have certain, special expertise. She has access to that information. So in the conversation with the dean from the COB, she was in the position.

 

FA: And so she’s in a position. And that’s kind of definition of special expertise being in a position. And that’s understandable.

 

FA: But she’s not IFO.

 

FA: She’s not IFO. That’s not for our comment. You’re free to appoint. We’re simply pointing out that she’s not a member of the IFO. But we can’t really comment on our membership.

 

FA: We’re wondering, what we would like is something in writing that says what this committee is going to do, and we’d also like to know what the total membership—who’s all going to be on the committee—besides the six that we bring forward.

 

FA: Also, a statement of the special expertise that’s required.

 

FA: And so if you’re looking for a particular kind of person, we can say they’re looking for a person and you may not need to appoint anybody for special expertise. They may come forward.

 

FA: The other thing I wanted to ask is whether this is intended to be a permanent committee? How long is it?

 

Admin: The idea would be that it would be a short-term committee.

 

FA: One year?

 

Admin: Fall semester.

 

FA: One semester?

 

Admin: Yeah.

 

FA: Would we want them to work during—you say the end of fall semester, so would it be only fall semester, or are you looking at summer also?

 

Admin: Summer would be ideal, but I recognize the issues with scheduling because when the academic summary book is created by institutional research over the summer—the first draft is put together over the summer—and so there would be input during that time. It would be easiest. We could wait until the beginning of fall semester. But it would delay some of their work if there were subsequent changes.

 

FA: So, I’m not sure what we agreed to here, or if we’ve agreed to anything.

 

FA: Well, we’ll get a written request for membership that includes a statement of what the special expertise is.

 

FA: So are we calling it a task force or an ad hoc committee? Lisa, would it be possible for you to give us something fairly fast so that we can get it passed out? So, if I get a request early tomorrow, I can get that out and hopefully we can get some names by Tuesday then. Thank you. Can we skip two and three and go to four at this point?

 

4.     Global Initiative (Admin) (05/04/06)

Admin: A few weeks there was an open meeting about putting together some planning around the global initiative that President Saigo has been talking about. Through the Strategic Planning committee, there’s going to be some work done this summer on developing the framework for a plan. And so I just wanted to come forward and let this group know that that planning will take place through the Strategic Planning committee and faculty will be paid extra duty days for participating in those planning days this summer. And then during Convocation, we will have a document that will go forward for consultation, obviously a first draft of the document that will have to go through a number of variations, but that’s the plan for this summer.

 

FA: I think faculty are very interested in global initiatives, and we have a lot of faculty who have been involved in such teaching set ups for a long time. And we would ask that you provide as many opportunities as you can to provide input from faculty. There’s a lot of experience from faculty that could provide you with concrete details about barriers that we face as we move forward, and we just want to ensure that. Maybe you could talk a little bit about how you plan to… if we’re bringing a report from Strategic Planning, what happens with it then? The framework. Can you talk about the framework?

 

Admin: What we had talked about at Strategic Planning is that this group, this subgroup of the planning committee, including—we were going to invite—the new members who have been appointed to Strategic Planning committee for next year, will develop the draft of the strategic plan, and through that document, we’ll identify some barriers and possibly some of the initiatives that will need to happen in order to move the global initiative forward. The idea is that we would be sharing during Convocation and use town hall and open meetings. Then probably a follow up, a round table discussion during Strategic Planning like what happened this spring, to gather feedback from the campus. And then it will go through a series of drafts involving campus feedback, but it will be funneled through the Strategic Planning committee and the subgroup from Strategic Planning that is responsible this summer. But the draft will work through the Strategic Planning process similar to how the deans worked through it. Then it would eventually go through the same processes.

 

FA: So faculty input and input from other interested parties would take place through the open sessions during Convocation experience?

 

Admin: And one of the things we talked about was some data collection information from faculty who specifically have experience. That’s the information that would go into the planning process. We’ve talked about having open meetings during Strategic Planning of people with experience who could come in and share their expertise, and that could be incorporated.

 

FA: In the summer?

 

Admin: In the fall when we draft the plan. Then there will be opportunities either through open meetings, through open Strategic Planning meetings, it’s a large undertaking. The document is going to take some time to develop. And it’s going to require a number of drafts in order to…

 

FA: Because there are faculty, as you pointed out, with a great deal of experience, but there is also faculty with a great deal of frustration trying to implement a plan for programs. That would be very important to identify what those are, and, more important, supplying them strategies for overcoming those so they can move ahead.

 

Admin: The benefit of going through the Strategic Planning committee is that it is a committee that is made up of all the bargaining units, there is representatives from each of the colleges, there’s two from each of the colleges and Special Services. So it is our intent that people on the Strategic Planning committee would be working with their college or their bargaining unit or their area to bring back feedback to the planning committee as we work through this process. So those Strategic Planning committee members are going to be real important connections between the committee’s work and the colleges.

 

FA: Okay. Two things. One, is the time table. The idea isn’t to launch or to announce ideas or something at the beginning… Come August 27th there won’t be an unveiling of some notion here that… Because between now and August 27th, there’s not a whole lot of time with final exams, end of the school year, and summer vacation. So the process is going to continue into the fall if you want that kind of input.

 

Admin: Exactly. The time line would be we would have an initial document for people to look at in the fall, and that would continue, probably continue.

 

FA: Until when?

 

Admin: Through the whole academic year.

 

FA: Actually part of the input for that document will be input from an open session that happened during a Strategic Planning meeting.  I don’t remember when it was.

 

FA: It was a couple weeks ago.

 

FA: I think we’re starting, aren’t we, with some of that information?

 

Admin: Yes. There was about 30 people, non-Strategic Planning committee members, who were there, who participated.

 

FA: I think the document that will be created this summer, my understanding from Strategic Planning, is that it will be like a skeleton. And then it will be completed during fall. So we’re going to try and not to put too much detail in it. It is more like here’s something we want to do, how are we going to do it, rather than saying this detailed plan of how it’s going happen for people to look at and kind of pick at it. We want to do this. What’s the best way to do it? That’s the question we’ll want to be asking in the fall.

 

FA: Is it that you want to tell the public in the fall that St. Cloud State is going to do this or…?

 

Admin: Well, I think that’s very accurate. I mean, I think at some point, we need to be able to say this is an initiative that we’re moving forward on, and this is something that’s important to us, and we’ve developed this skeleton plan, and we’re going to be continuing to develop it. By the end of August to be able to say we started the planning process on this, and to be able to say that publicly that this is something we’re going to be doing.

 

FA: Are we ready to move on to item five?

 

5.     Incentive Funding (Admin) (05/04/06)

Admin: This is a preliminary incentive. One thing we’re looking at as we look at the budget for 2008 is an incentive fund. So we’ve begun discussion about a process, and we’ll bring that out next year. Kind of an outline and talk about it. It will be subject to our budgeting process and MnSCU. But our incentive plan is a way for people to propose new initiatives, and we would expect the initiatives to have cost, certainly. But also outcomes, and in the end, become self sustaining initiative funds. We can’t eventually have all of our budget go to initiative funds, but it’s something that helps seed money to help new programs or initiatives or particular tasks that might need to be accomplished. So that’s going to be one of the elements of discussion as we look at our budgeting for 2008-2009. It’s also going to be as we move next year to what’s been referred to, in various things, as the performance-based budget. As the future planning of this process has matured and established performance indicators, and we begin to want to look at those as ways of where we put our funds, and where we’re either lacking in performance, and we need some funds perhaps to enhance that. Then set markers as to whether they were accomplished in those goals. Or if there was good performance, needed in an area, something like we’re looking at in International Studies perhaps where we need to make direct resources to accomplish something there. So we’re trying to look at the entire budget process more openly. We’re trying to move the responsibility now down to the dean’s level, and to the departmental level. And we started that a few years ago with equipment when we were woefully under-funded on the equipment side, and it’s been not entirely consistent in its application across the colleges. So we want to look for performance measures along that and if it works and how effective it is. So we’ll begin that discussion in the fall in earnest in cooperation or in conjunction with Strategic Planning and key performance indicators as we move forward on our budget for 2008-2009.

 

FA: Any questions? Discussion?

 

FA: Is there a statement or document or written model that encapsulates or articulates this approach?

 

Admin: No, not at this point. There’s discussion about… Diana’s just back from her sabbatical. Diana’s sabbatical was to look at budget models or budget methods for similar institutions. She’s bringing a report back on that to the President’s Council. But that’s one thing we wanted to look at is what the models are out there. And I’ve looked at some as I’ve been on some ATA business as to how it’s done in similar institutions. And Lisa’s done a significant amount of work with the University of Minnesota. And they have… Of course they are much larger than we are, but they have a college-based program. And that has a little scale issue but we believe that there’s valuable information and a track record that we can use to apply here. We expect in the fall to bring forward an outline of this and options, if you will, and alternatives, or some points for discussion, and then begin to move forward on a process for 2008. And it will be something that is dynamic because that’s intended to be dynamic based on performance and how you move forward. But also we’ll still be on a learning curve with its application here. We still have to be cognizant of the allocation of funds from MnSCU. We might have a great idea, but we need to make sure that we maximize our allocation of state funds from the Chancellor’s office.

 

FA: So you’re talking about allocation of funds that we already have through a process that would be more open and more college department based, perhaps? You’re not talking about separate money that would be given as incentive…?

 

Admin: We’re talking about incentive funding that we would be able to have some funds for initiatives and also in the budget process to incentivise the process, if you will. Have it so that good performance results in the allocation of funds where it’s appropriate. And we are talking about how you allocate the money doesn’t change how much there is on the table to allocate. That will still be a function of enrollment, tuition, and state appropriation, and grants and contracts, and foundation accounts. But it’s how we take those funds and how we allocate them.

 

FA: So the money we already would have?

 

Admin: Yes. But we might want to encourage people to do things to generate more funds also.

 

FA: You realize that at negotiations, MnSCU attempted to incentivise us and maybe that language that we---

 

Admin: I---

 

FA: ---I’m just---

 

Admin: ---yeah, I understood that matter. A poor choice. And maybe we’ll have to think of something else.

 

FA: You know, but it also, I think, made some of us think about extra money that would be given if we do certain things, and I don’t think that’s what you’re talking about. There might be special appropriations for special initiatives?

 

Admin: Yes.

 

FA: But that’s not performance-based anything? Or it’s not separate allocation that’s coming from MnSCU?

 

Admin: No. No. Something like that may happen, you know, a separate allocation for some purpose. But we’re talking about how we spend---

 

FA: Who’s we?

 

Admin: The university spends---

 

FA: We, as the Faculty Association, have been asking for years to be allowed to participate in the budgeting process.

 

Admin: Yes.

 

FA: We asked last fall. Our budget committee did. Let’s start talking about next fall. And we’ve gotten nothing. All we’ve gotten is here’s what we’re going to do, here’s what we’re going to do. Now you’re talking again about we’re going to do this, we’re going to do that. Let’s do it. Let’s quit talking about it, and let’s do it. It’s very frustrating for us to have to listen to this, these promises that we’re going to be able to participate in the budgeting process year after year, but then have you come in and show us here’s what we already sent down, here’s what we’ve already decided, here’s what the parking fees are going to be. If you’re going to do it, let’s just get it done and quit talking about it.

 

Admin: That’s what we want to do next fall for 2008. And the last two years, we’ve opened the budget process up more than it had been in the past.

 

FA: We don’t see that. We don’t think it’s been opened anymore than it has been in the past. In fact, this year it’s been closed down tighter than anything.

 

Admin: I understand your view. For 2007, we had the discussion last year because it’s a biannual budget, and we reviewed it in the fall and had the town meetings about, where we were for 2007, to make some additional investments. And our intent as we go to 2008-2009, is to have that discussion be very open this year, and get the input upfront. And do it.  

 

FA: We would welcome that kind of discussion. We’d also welcome connecting the Strategic Plan with the budget process.

 

Admin: I think that will be easier to accomplish and recognize the connection.

 

Admin: And what we’re talking about is really looking differently at how the budget, the funds of the university, and looking at different processes and having that open conversation in the fall with the entire campus community. All of them in this. And looking at fundamentally how do we do this. We may look at some fundamental changes and how we allocate the budget on campus. And that of course is going to take input. So that’s what Steve is talking about, is a real open process and how we get there.

 

FA: Well, we appreciate the heads up, and we look forward to that certain discussion.

 

FA: If there is any documentation you could share with us, again to articulate, help to identify and define this approach, I think that would be very helpful. Something along the lines that my colleagues have mentioned.

 

Admin: I’m starting to get studied up on this too, Robert. So, Steve, as you and Diana and Lisa get materials to read, not just a pile of books, but some focus---

 

Admin: Directed.

 

Admin: ---directed, summarized material, share them with the entire group. Because you need to bring us all up to a certain level.

 

FA: Anything specific or recommended for the budgeting process or approach specific to St. Cloud State University. Following any suggestions that you have, maybe. That kind of follow up as well. I think that’s the healthy point of departure that we can go from. There’s a high amount of frustration from getting piles of paper work that may be meaningful in some context but are not very meaningful in this context in trying to talk about overall direction and allocations. I think that would be very helpful in moving us forward on this matter.

 

FA: Good. It would be particularly helpful to get those materials to the members of our budget committee.

Admin: Do you have a list of those?

 

FA: Yes we do.

 

FA: It’s online. It’s public information.

 

FA: Yep.

 

Admin: They keep sending them to my office, and I never get them. (Laughter)

 

FA: All of our committees are up on our website, with links too. So, I think we’re done with that item for now. Okay, so we’re going back then to item number two.

 

FA: Can we thank Lisa?

 

FA: Thank you, Lisa.

 

2.     Reassigned Time (FA) (05/04/06)

FA: In terms of Reassigned Time, we’ve been having some discussions about reassigned time across the campus, and we have some general questions that we would like answers to, not necessarily today, but, well, you’ll be able to tell from the questions. Our initial question is what are the university’s policies or rationales for reassigned time in general? What principles, what rationales are we using for providing, or for giving reassigned time? And we’re particularly interested in how those policies or rationales might have changed in the past year or two. We’re wondering we’ve heard that there’s been a mandate or a request to reduce or limit reassigned time, and we’re wondering, if that’s been an across-campus mandate. And we would like a breakdown of reassigned time by college and department, not by individual necessarily, but a breakdown that shows what the various reasons are for the reassigned times. I believe that’s something that the deans keep records of. Is there anything that I’m forgetting? I’m looking around to my team members. So do you have questions about that?

 

FA: Do you have a time period for this proposal? What’s the time frame?

 

FA: It would be good certainly to have a few years worth of data to see if there’s been shifts because one of the things, obviously, one of the questions we are asking is if this, if the policies or rationales have changed in the last few years. So it would be good to have that over time. For three years perhaps? Would that be a good time frame?

 

Admin: I’m not sure how easily we can pull that together over three years.

 

FA: Maybe we could get it in piece, bit by bit?

 

FA: You certainly should be able to get this year and next.

 

FA: Um hum.

 

Admin: One of the things we’re looking at doing is sort of regularizing and standardizing as much as possible the allocation of reassigned time for purposes across the university. My experience has been that a lot of this has been done very unevenly in the past, and in some cases, to be as frank as possible, based on favoritism. And I want that to be eliminated.

 

FA: We would like that to be eliminated also.

 

Admin: So we want to be able to have rationales, supportable reasons for people to receive reassigned time. And that the process should be open and available and understandable to folks. And not because someone has some special connection with somebody else.

 

FA: So you think this year’s and last year’s might be accessible? The information?

 

Admin: Right.

 

FA: By college and department? And by reason?

 

Admin: Some parts of that at least should be accessible.

 

FA: Can you say whether or not if there has been a shift or if there has been a mandate university wide?

 

Admin: There has not been.

 

FA: Okay.

 

FA: Is there something that has already been compiled in the past?

 

Admin: There is something that’s been compiled, but I’m not sure that it’s all inclusive.

 

Admin: I have to turn in—I can’t remember the date, maybe by April—as we’re preparing appointment letters for next year. We’re so much more complicated because we have extra duty days and money shifts, and so we do a really elaborate report. That’s what we predict it’s going to be for the next year but usually do updated ones of those throughout the year, and then a final one at the end of the year. But I don’t know… I know the deans have to turn that thing in, in April, or whatever the month is. But I don’t know how much it’s fiddled with after that for the rest of the year.

 

FA: Well, you’ve identified certainly a few of our concerns pretty obviously. That it be an open process so it would be clear what the principles are, and that they’re not being based on the individual but on university kind of practices. Anything else regarding this? So we’ll get some information for this year and last for sure?

 

Admin: I wouldn’t be able to promise that the other deans will pull last year or not.

 

Admin: We’ll pull together what we can. What we’ve got.

 

FA: I’m wondering if we could focus on a conversation next year. You know, maybe agree that this is something that we need to look at in terms of equity. I think some of the grumbling that you may hear about workload may be as a result of problems in terms of equity.

 

FA: Equity is more important. I would like to have time to do research and publish papers if I had a chance.

 

Admin: We want you to do that too.

 

FA: I’d like to do it, but there’s only so much time.

 

Admin: What time do you work now? (Laughter)

 

FA: I wake up at four or five in the morning.

 

Admin: Start at two. (Laughter)

 

FA: So, thank you for that information, and I look forward to that conversation. I think we only have one item left.

 

3.     Fixed-term Rollover (FA) (05/06/06)

FA: That is Fixed-term Rollover, item three.

 

Admin: Right. There’s a request from the Philosophy department to extend a fixed-term appointment to a faculty member for a fifth year because of, there’s a question about replacing a faculty member who’s requested a second additional year’s leave. And the department has supported this request. In order to accommodate it, we need to bring it to Meet and Confer.

 

FA: We do have a letter documenting that department’s request for that. And we would certainly support this request under these conditions.

 

Admin: Thank you. I guess this is the last meeting of this august assemblage for this academic year. I’m deeply chagrined that we will not be coming together again in a fortnight. (Laughter) But we’ll survive that and I really want to thank everybody for their service with the group, for this past year.

 

Admin: This morning some of you were at the Herberger COB dedication. The Herbergers left here when they were nine and four and spent most of their adult life in Arizona. And they were the ones who pretty much created Scottsdale. And they went down, I didn’t know until recently, but they had an elder sister who had polio and asthma, that’s why they moved down there. And so she became very healthy and did well. And so they pretty much stayed down there. They gave us three million dollars, and we named it the Herberger COB, and another five hundred thousand for a plaza that we’ll start on soon. The third and fourth floors need to be remodeled?

 

FA: Yeah.

 

Admin: Then we’ll go to the second… that’s the Student Success…

 

Admin: We just have to get Robert moved out of there.

 

Admin: That will take another year.

 

FA: Just give me some boxes. (Laughter)

 

Admin: But we have come a long way. We tease, and sometimes it’s very painful. But the year has gone quite well, plus our strength in studies over 400 students studying offshore and over 850 to 900 students coming here. It’s interesting the dynamics of the countries that are falling back, and the African counties are increasing. And I was interested to see that Nepal has increased considerably. This fall we’ll have another 25 from Korea. And with this Strategic Planning committee we’re really moving along, and I appreciate, as Michael said, so much what we’ve accomplished. I’m starting to look at some materials, Robert, from the University of Minnesota. They’ve been doing this since 1997, and it seems that this is kind of the way we’re going. So, certainly, I’m educating myself, and we want you to be there with information that we’ll send you through Steve. And then let’s talk about it because I think it’s another issue that opens up the budgeting much more and gives more responsibility to the deans and to the colleges than central administration. I think that’s where we should be going. So, that’s a philosophy of mine. Again, not to keep you any longer, but thank you so much and have a nice, restful summer. And go back to Illinois and rejuvenate yourself. (Laughter)