Faculty Association Meet and Confer Notes for May 3, 2001

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Faculty Association:† Judy Foster, Theresia Fisher, David Mork, Andrew Larkin, Kathleen Maloney, Judith Kilborn, Terry Peterson, Annette Schoenberger, Bill Langen , Sunshine Shaney, Notetaker

Guests:† Debra Tamte-Horan, David Boyer, John Grether

 

Administration:†† Lin Holder, John Burgeson, Roland Specht-Jarvis, Suzie Williams, Laurel Allen, Larry Chambers, Roy Saigo, Jackie Zieglmeier, Notetaker

 

University Calendar for 2002-2003

 

ADM:†† This was simply a reminder that we asked you to look at the Universityís calendar for the year after next.† We do need a response so we can put it in the Bulletin.

 

FA:† We only have the draft that you provided on January 25.† Have there been any changes to this draft?

 

ADM:† No

 

FA: We have made a request not to start final exams on the Friday immediately after the last class.

 

ADM:† We know there were suggestions, and we were waiting for a response from you before making any changes.

 

FA:† The Executive Committee will be meeting next week, and then we will get it to you.

 

ADM:† Okay, thank you.

 

Schedule 25

 

FA:† We had a motion that was passed in the Senate:† ďThat Schedule 25 be used to analyze room and space availability on campus but not to replace decision making and negotiations at the department level.Ē

 

ADM:† The intent is that if Economics has a classroom that has been used previously and is considered ďyourĒ classroom, you will still have priority for scheduling your classrooms that you have had assigned to Economics.

 

FA: You gave the easy case and that is not the problem.† When we got the information from Schedule 25 there were two statements that were of concern.† One concerned class size.† The other one dealt with enforcement.† We understand the problem that if we teach a class and my department doesnít have a room with that many seats.† The other concern is time.† This rule that says how to schedule classes doesnít take into consideration any of the academic things.† So we would like to try to incorporate those things into Schedule 25.

 

ADM:† We have two separate pieces here.† One is the Daily Class Schedule.† It was approved at Meet and Confer.† It does allow for waivers from the dean for scheduling classes.† There is within the policy the ability to request waivers for daily class scheduling.† That is different than Schedule 25.† I think if you really look at the daily class schedule, the part about labs is more guidelines than it is absolute rule because we knew there would always be differences.† Our intention is to figure out what the best templates for labs are and figure it out that way.

 

ADM:†† There are a variety of tables that we are going to have to build.† We will have to build space data. We will have to put in those space fields the kind of equipment, where it is located, etc.† We need to put in the department preference.† There are a variety of things that we can build in.† There will have to be a dialog with the Faculty.† I am going to try to build this as best I can, and if I make a mistake itís okay for you to tell me.† The other thing is we put in data about classes.† This class needs this much space.† There are other things that we will do.† We can create time templates for labs that have a specific thing that they need.† Another thing we can do is if there is an abnormal thing and we donít want to build a template we will go in and schedule that class on an individual basis.† Then when we run the process that class will already be scheduled and nothing will interfere with it.† I am going to pass out this document to give you some basic information.† The main thing that I want to say is we are certainly willing to try to work with everyone to build it.† There are certain things that are going to be different.† The only thing that I ask of you is to remember that I have never built this before and it may not be perfect, but we will fix it as long as we try to work together.

 

FA:† Is there any kind of testing phase planned for this?

 

ADM:† It will depend on our timing.† We are putting data in right now.† I would like to try to see if we can test it.† Since I have never done this before and I have the data and a time limit, I donít know how much time I will have to test, but I do agree that in the long run it will help to test it out ahead of time.

 

FA:† The Faculty Senate motion is built on first emphasizing room data or space data and working on that to get information on what the unused space is in the first phase, allowing for the interpersonal communications.† There is a challenge in this in bringing together human intelligence and artificial intelligence.

 

ADM:† So far our instructions from the president are to have schedule 25 implemented for next springís schedule. Itís going to be messy; there is no doubt about it.†† As we build the space database, we will be coming back to you for more information on the rooms.† I honestly donít know how well schedule 25 will work the first time.

 

FA:† I would appreciate that there be an experimental phase.† A particular room may look as though it has the right accommodations but based on experience that is not always correct.

 

College Transitions 150

 

FA:† I am currently chairing the DGS Committee.† For those of you unfamiliar with this committee, it was formed after the breakdown of this program.† We are coming with a concern about one of the requirements.† Students are required to take College Transitions 150.† Historically, the cap has been 25 students.† Recently we increased the DGS students from 250 to 350.† We have the same number of courses that we had, which means the number of the students in those classes will increase.† We have a lot of concerns about cutting those students from halftime with the faculty, halftime forming a mentoring relationship with the faculty.† Weíre concerned about the workload issues for teachers in this course.† We are asking for rethinking on raising the cap on this course.

 

ADM:† Interestingly, in some of our earlier discussions the advisory committee was recommending a very different approach, and now it seems we are getting different recommendations on the structuring of this class.† So this seems a little contradictory to the earlier recommendation, and Iím not sure where youíre thinking changed.† The other issue is class size.† There is budget pressure and additional stress created on this course.† We hear your recommendation, and I donít know if we can give you any final answer today.

 

FA:† We made a recommendation that would bundle the College Transitions 150 class with a study class, which would be 3 credits.† Our concern is that we can only provide one class and require them only once a week.† So we are making them pay for more than they are getting.

 

ADM:† I donít think that is an accurate characterization.† The idea of having them meet in smaller classes with less time is not to cheat them out of time; it was from a concern that students were saying they didnít need to meet this many times.† We are hoping this will allow us to decrease the meeting time without decreasing the studentsí experience.†† My assumption is that they will get more independent work to do.† It will allow us to do some more advising.† Itís not a perfect solution; but it was the best effort to make the best of the budgetary restrictions

 

FA:† The students donít deal with schedules that switch.† This program had a better retention rate than the other students at this university. We are concerned that this will cause the students to fail.† The advisory group had made a recommendation that we cut this to a one-credit course.† The recommendation that we are making now has some very favorable discussion.† This proposal to raise the enrollment is being done at the studentsí expense.

 

ADM:† There is a waiting list, and we wonít be able to serve all, even with the raise to 350.

 

FA:† We are not meeting the MnSCU guidelines for 45 contact hours.†

 

ADM:† There are no MnSCU guidelines.† Those are Boyer guidelines.

 

FA:† It seems very clearly a case of using the students to generate income and then not using that revenue to benefit those students and that we could end up losing them.† The FA requests that the class remain capped at 25.

 

Update on Academic Misconduct Policy

 

FA:†† Two Senate motions.† ďThe FA demands that the administration immediately stop current internal proceedings against faculty charged with academic fraud during the course of non-renewal proceedings and turn processing of those charges over to an external impartial review.Ē

ď The Executive committee shall work with President Saigo to end the current inquiry into allegations of academic of research fraud and serious misconduct against Dr. Stryker.Ē

†††††††††††

FA:† At the last Meet and Confer we presented these motions with an in-depth report from a faculty committee.† Part of the essence was the urgency of the facultyís position on this.† I would ask for your response to an update on these motions.

 

ADM: We are working on some kind of language, and it should be completed, possibly by the time this meeting is over.†

 

FA:† Would it be possible for the Executive Committee to convey to the Faculty Association that the Administration is working on these issues and there will be a response in the foreseeable future?

 

ADM:† We are bound by confidentiality, even if a party chooses to breach that.

 

FA:† I am trying to couch this in terms where there would not be direct reference to any case or person, but that your response would be in terms of the policy.

 

ADM:† We canít even tell you there is a case going on.

 

FA:† Perhaps we could say that the administration has informed us that negotiations are taking place.

 

ADM:† I think that might be okay.

 

Task force to Analyze Institutional Systems and Organizational Structure

 

FA:† We asked you for a proposal on this and have not gotten a response yet.

 

ADM:† I have a recommendation, but I havenít had a chance to meet with President Saigo yet on this matter.

 

FA:† I heard the President ask Strategic Planning to address how we can tighten our procedures and perhaps provide better education of everyone involved in those procedures.† Is that going to work if Strategic Planning takes that on as their responsibility?† Is there going to be duplication or should this committee possibly cat as a subcommittee?

 

ADM:† Today in the meeting with the chairs I was surprised to hear that the workshop this summer for the chairs was cancelled.

 

ADM:† There were several faculty appointed to work with the deans on this. A survey was done and the results are back, but I donít think the committee has had a chance to sit down with those results and plan a chair workshop.†

 

FA:† I donít believe we are seeing it as cancelled, but we are seeing it as pending. We still expect it to go forward; the question is if it will be in the summer or not.

 

ADM:†† We will be meeting to focus more on this but what I get frustrated about is we had these ideas a year ago.† Then we massage it; another year goes by, and in the meantime the institution continues to suffer because of it.† I would like to see us look at this as a top priority, but we have been bringing this to meet and confer for a year now and havenít been able to reach resolution.† I would like to have suggestions from you on how to get over this hump.† If we wait until next fall, it will be this time next year before anything is done.† Whatever you would like to focus on, I would appreciate it, but I would like to see it happen within a short calendar time period.

 

FA:† I am wondering whose responsibility this is if we move it to Strategic Planning.† We donít meet until next fall and my sense is it canít wait that long.

 

ADM:† My sense is that it needs attention and people are getting frustrated.† We have a model of confrontation, and it seems that when people get frustrated we cannot get to the second level of resolving the issue and helping the university.

 

ADM:† My suggestion would be a task force that would review our structure, policies, and procedures.† I would suggest that that committee be made up of two deans, the HR Director, faculty members with expertise in organization and conflict resolution, the Presidents of the bargaining units and others.† I think the issues revolve around some of our structures, procedures, and policies and they in turn create conflict.

 

FA:† It would help me to clarify this if I can either have you confirm or disconfirm: if we are talking about the need to analyze institutional structures, procedures, and policies, what is the purpose?† To reduce grievances?† Or is it larger?† If the purpose were to reduce grievances, then that would seem to me to be a segmented problem.

 

ADM:† My thought is that its larger that reducing grievances.† When I came here I thought this University has much potential and somehow every time I think we get close to reaching that potential it somehow gets in the media and we tend to lose whatever momentum we had.† I would like to see this University resolve our conflicts and work as colleagues.†† I believe we could become one of the top 10 universities.† I know in the time that Iíve been here how much time and effort I have spent on conflict resolving.† If there is a way to bring together people who have better understanding of how to deal with conflict, we ought to try it.

 

FA:† With the purpose to potentially include an understanding of conflict as being a necessary part of interaction, perhaps redefining conflict we seem to have a way of talking about interactions as labeling it as conflict rather than labeling ďheated interactions.Ē

 

ADM:† My appreciation of being in higher education is that we ought to be able to disagree, but we ought to be able to do it in a respectful way and not in a hurtful way.

 

FA:† Perhaps we can build on some strength we already have implemented in this area.† We have the mediation program that has been spoken very highly of and to date we have had an estimated 50 mediations and an untold number of informal mediations and literally hundreds of hours spent in pre-mediations trying to deal with issues, trying to get to a better place.† It would be good if we could take advantage of the programs we have that are at least making an effort to work through these things.

 

ADM:† I was saying that maybe there are some things at the level before the mediation that we could address to prevent those mediations, but I agree with what you are saying as far as using those tools we already have.

 

FA:† We may be looking at several different groups looking at related issues, and I would like to see some coordination that these groups come together at some time to discuss these issues.

 

Human Resources Meetings with Department Chairs

 

FA:† I have been asked by a number of department chairs to raise this issue of their discomfort at DAC meetings.† They have issues that deal with sick leave and personal leave.† There is discomfort with this.† The perception that was conveyed by the department chairs was that they were being asked to be placed as supervisors or to report faculty that were hurt on the job so that workers comp could or should apply.† The issue is ultimately meetings with department chairs.

 

ADM:† Human Resources didnít invite ourselves into that meeting with department chairs. It was not my intent to define their roles as supervisors but as key people.† I think some of the language in the Contract leaves some possibilities for chairs to be able to do that which supervisors wouldnít.† In Human Resources we thought of it as coordination.† If someone gets injured not on this campus but working, we thought the chairs would be able to help them with information on where to get help or suggestions on what to do.

 

FA:† One of the suggestions was that it would be reasonable in their view that HR provide adequate numbers of copies of the materials that were to be distributed.

 

ADM:† Of all the department chairs that were there, there may be one or two that thought this might be a supervisory position.† If a deanís position becomes available and it says that experience is needed, then I donít know how they would get that experience without doing what we are suggesting.

 

Bookstore

 

FA:†† A regional representative from Pierson publications was very concerned about the status of the bookstore.† Some of this information the representative shared with me I think is relevant.† They have been working with the off-campus bookstore, which has not been receiving book order lists from the on-campus store.†† And for the on-campus bookstore all but one of the publishers stopped sending books. The concern is that they wonít have any books available for summer and fall semesters.

ADM:† I really am not able to respond.

 

FA:† I am actually able to.† I received the assurance that things are going very well with the concern that the bookstore will have books.

 

Assessment

 

FA:† Faculty Senate motion adopted April 10, 2001:† ď Assessment at SCSU is faculty owned.† How will the administration continue to support and fund assessment at the current level?Ē

FA:† Some information about that motion is that the Assessment Director is being cutback from full time to three-fourths time.† Mini-grants have been cut to nothing for next year, and Strategic Planning has added an item of key performance indicators, which the director believes will double the job of instructors.†

 

ADM: Yes, we have gone from 100 percent to 75 percent.† We have not cut the mini-grants.† Let me make sure that we donít confuse the role of the assessment director.† I would hope we are not looking through the Strategic Planning process to the Assessment Director to gather that information because I donít believe that is the job description of the Assessment Director.

 

FA:† We would hope the Assessment Director would be able to assist programs.

 

ADM:† I think the commitment to assessment is there.† I think there is no better way for this University or any University to determine whether or not we are really providing to our students what we say we want to provide to our students.† I think it is critical for every University to be out front and doing every bit we can to move forward with assessment.

 

ADM:† I apologize for interrupting.† We have talked with the current assessment director and asked her to take another one-year appointment to give us a little more time to work on assessment procedure.† It was partly at her request to get back into the classroom a little.† I think next year we need to decide how we are going to move forward.†

 

FA:† I would like to get to the two concerns that came out of Faculty Senate, which are that assessment is† faculty owned and that it will be supported and funded at the current level.†

 

ADM:† The operating budget remains the same.

 

FA:† There may be a concern that three-fourths reassignment may become permanent.

 

ADM: It is intended to be permanent, but because of the kinds of changing work that are going to occur.

 

ADM: Again this was at her request.† I think we have tried to be flexible.

 

FA:†† We want to put this in the notes in a way that would convey the appropriate support without necessarily tying it to a particular person.† Would we be able to say that the Assessment Directorís appointment would continue at 75 percent with the idea that it would be negotiated?

 

ADM:† I donít know if we can say it like that right now.† For this year it is 75 percent because the North Central report was produced this year.

 

Library Charge-backs

 

FA:† FA would benefit from a written explanation about how interlibrary loan allocations and charge backs will be handled so that individuals and faculty will have an idea of what will happen when they try to teach their classes and do research.† There appears to be a somewhat undefined amount of interlibrary loan charges that are absorbed through the LRC, but the breaking point on this is not as clear as to be able to plan their research.

 

ADM:† My understanding at this point is if we do another interlibrary loan with another library itís free and itís unlimited.† However, if we need material that is not available through our interlibrary network, then that material will be charged to the department.

 

FA:† Thatís not the information that seems to be circulating.

 

ADM:† I will get you something formal on this issue.

 

ADM:† I think sometimes an individual has a problem that becomes a bigger issue than it really is.† This is faculty policy.† It was designed years ago because when we couldnít get it free we would get it anyway, and then people would not pick them up and LRC would end up paying for it.†

 

FA:† It may be that some issues are surfacing about library charge back because there are more institutions now using interlibrary loans.† Another area that loosely fits under this heading seems to stem from the distribution resources of the library.† There is a desire through the resources in the Miller Center to move towards a more electronically based teaching.† This varies from one program to another.† It suggests that there is a gap in our transition from one source to another.

 

ADM:† I am aware that when we moved, that they used to do some processing and laminating.† The space for utilizing that was compared with the amount of traffic.† The Miller Center was designed to eliminate that, and we used that space for something else.† Again let me get something formal for you on that issue.

 

FA:† I think that is understood at the institutional level.†† At the department and faculty level there are still some things that need to be worked through in order for it to be understood.

 

ADM:† Let me get you the information and if you have any recommendations we would certainly take them into consideration.

 

FA:† Thank you.

 

FA:† Could the faculty use their professional development funds that they were allocated?

 

ADM:† Yes.

 

Ex-Officio Administrators on Faculty Committees

 

FA:† This was pending and there was a request that we would consider having administrators as ex-officios.† The Faculty Senate passed a motion on March 20, 2001 that reads, ďto deal with ex-officio administrators present on faculty committees on a case-by-case basis through sanctioned meetings.Ē

 

FA:† The decision was that, as needed, administrators would be invited to FA committee meetings.†† We have several committees that are already university-wide committees or joint committees.

 

ADM:† We could provide such an interesting perspective to your meetings.

 

FA: The committees are more than welcome to invite you to the meetings.

 

ADM:† We appreciate that the Academic Vice President has been invited to meetings.† I would say again that we respect your decision.† I do believe that the inability to communicate in those kinds of settings really does diminish communication on this campus.†† I think we reduce our ability to communicate and to try to understand, and I can think of numerous examples of things coming to our office for approval and our sitting there without a clue as to the rationale because we were not part of the discussion.

 

FA:† I think it has something to do with trust, and that is something we would have to work on, on this campus.† There was a concern about junior faculty being intimidated on those committees.† Iím glad that you recognize the value of the sanctioned meeting process that we have.

 

ADM:† Sanctioned meetings are your internal process and we respect that, but there is nothing in the contract that sets up that process.† I donít feel comfortable reading into the record the agreement of the sanctioned meeting process; it is an internal process and we respect that, but it is not contractual.

 

FA:† It may be helpful if we could get more agreement to get help with sanctioned meting at a higher level.

 

ADM:† Maybe that is something the task force could look into and work on.

 

FA: It is possible for a request for such ďauthorizedĒ meetings that have come both from members of Faculty Association or from Administration at levels other than presidential.† Thatís been the practice, but we donít seem to have universal agreement.

 

Diversity Calendar

 

FA:† You brought us a request to produce a diversity calendar.† After a discussion the committee agreed to not proceed.† What I understood they were saying is letís just get this poster and make it available and in the meantime we could look into creating our own local calendar but letís just distribute this.

 

ADM:† I too think we should support that calendar and add some dates.†

 

ADM: I would ask if we could either generate our own or produce copies to distribute.

 

ADM:† Certainly we can do that.

 

ADM: Iím curious what dates werenít on there because that was the most inclusive calendar Iíve seen.

 

Strategic indicators

 

FA:† There was a question as why the number of tenured faculty was listed as both strengths and weaknesses.†

 

ADM:† The number of senior faculty was listed as both.† Because of the experience they can provide is strength, but the issue of them retiring and the turnover is a weakness.

 

Policy on Police Interrupting Classes

 

FA:† I think I will do this personally:† In my class yesterday at about 12:30 p.m. a policeman came to the door, opened it, and called a studentís name.† We do not appreciate our classes being interrupted except in emergency cases.† We would like to know what is the campus policy on police doing this, and what are faculty rights as far as what we can do if this happens.

 

FA:† There is a certain amount of institutional memory on this.† I have a recollection on this issue that this was discussed at some length I think in 1997 or 1998.† This is not a new issue that is being brought up, and as there is to be some discussion perhaps it would be helpful if this were looked into the information in records that is available.

 

ADM:† The best we can do it is pull it and give you what we have.

 

ADM:† How many instances there are?

 

FA:† I had an instance last fall where two policemen came to class with two security guards with them; they asked for a student to come outside in the hall.

 

FA:† Another issue is of what kind of protections do we extend to our students and ourselves; what kind of respect should we expect from off campus people.† Faculty considers class time to be very sacred.† We need to be reminded of our rights and what we should expect.†

 

FA: The last I heard of the Universityís discussions with St. Cloud police occurred in an extremely volatile period, and the last that we heard publicly there was an extremely unproductive exchange of heated remarks.†

 

ADM:† The relationship with the chief of police has been very good.

 

Information Items

ADM:† On behalf of the administration Iíd like to thank just for her leadership this year.† I have enjoyed working with you and I truly believe it was a very productive leadership.