Faculty Association-Administration Meet and Confer Notes

March 29, 2001

 

Faculty Association:† Judy Foster, Theresia Fisher, David Mork, Andrew Larkin, Kathleen Maloney, Judith Kilborn, Terry Peterson, Jayantha Herath, Annette Schoenberger††††††††

Sunshine Shaney, Notetaker

 

Administration:†† Lin Holder, John Burgeson, Roland Specht-Jarvis, Gene Gilchrist, Suzie Williams†††

Jackie Zieglmeier, Notetaker

 

MEDIATION PROPOSAL

 

ADM:† We thought we were prepared for this conversation today, but we are not.† We are going to meet next week and bring it to the next Meet and Confer.

 

COMPOSITION OF FACULTY SEARCH COMMITTEES

 

ADM:† We recently attended a meeting talking about the search process.† We agreed that we had really never come to Meet and Confer to reach a common agreement about the procedures of the search committees.† I wanted to bring it to you and have some conversation about the commitment to diversity. Do we believe there is a commitment to have diversity and how do we define diversity?† Iíd like to have some feedback and reach a common understanding if possible.

 

FA:† One question we had is that an affirmative action plan was referred to.† We have never seen it.† Is there one?

 

ADM:† Yes, there is one.† The representation by college would be looked at by the pool of qualified faculty available for each college.† There should be a copy of the affirmative action plan on file in the presidentís office.

 

FA: Can we have a copy?

 

ADM:† You may want to take a look at it and see if you want the whole document or parts of it.† It is quite a significant document.† It should be public information.

 

FA:† I think you used the term Ďunderutilized.í† Would that reference the report we were just talking about?

 

ADM: Absolutely.

 

FA: So I need to reference that report to make sense of the term Ďunderutilized.í

 

ADM:† I can tell you as of right now every college would show underutilization of the affirmative action plan and information on the pool of available individuals.† So you can make the assumption that there arenít very many departments out there that will be asked to have diversity because of underutilization. I believe as a University we have a commitment to diversity to serve our students as they go from here out into the work field.† My question to you is: does that commitment carry over to our hiring, and if so does it carry to the point where we believe that we need to have diversity in our search committees in order to have diversity in our hiring?† We are in the stage of our development where we have too many searches where we place minority faculty that they are overextended.† We run into problems with that. We need to agree as to who does the selection of search committee members of underrepresented groups and we need to make sure that we monitor the searches to be sure that this is being followed.

 

FA: If the issue of having someone from outside the department serve on the committee in order to provide diversity comes up, it opens up the question: who will be that person?† What is the role of the department?

 

ADM:† It becomes an issue if there is not a person of diversity on the committee.† Who invites them onto the committee?† Weíre open to suggestions.† I think it is important to have diversity on the committee.† I think it reflects to candidates that diversity is important to us.† I believe they bring different perspectives to the committee.† If we can agree that we would like to have diversity on the committees, then I am open to suggestions on how we can accomplish that.† My suggestion is that we put the language in the affirmative action procedures manual very specifically that if the department does not have the diversity to develop a committee with diversity then the department can recommend where they should look outside the department.

 

FA: I agree with what you said.† I appreciate you saying that faculty should try to find someone outside the department.† The concern in the commitment to help promote diversity is the issue of what constitutes diversity.† That has to be addressed in some fashion.

 

ADM:† There is disagreement, I have to tell you that.

 

FA:† I expect that to be the case.† But it would appear that we are going to need some statement for a period of time for this round of searches.† We are collectively committing to this definition pattern.† We can certainly open it up as the needs of the campus change, but that gives a guide to the departments doing the searches and it gives an answer to how we know if we have diversity.

 

ADM:† Let me come back to you with a proposal at the next meet an confer.†

 

FA: I wonder if it would be appropriate to consult the affirmative action committee.

 

ADM: My suggestion was not to put out a draft until we could look at the existing documents.† We should have something ready next week.† Once everything is together I believe it needs to go back to the affirmative action committee.

 

 

DEANíS BUDGET REPORT AND LEGISLATIVE AUDIT

 

FA:† This is more of a reminder that when the deansí budget report is ready, we would like a copy.

 

ADM:† We have had the MnSCU exit conference with the Legislative auditors.† I have a confidential draft from the Legislative auditors.† In their summary page they make two points.† They say that in a prior audit we had not reconciled bank accounts. MnSCU double-posted our bills to students in 1998 and we turned around and removed the double posting.† They found that to be wrong for us to do.† They noted that the bookstore company was in bankruptcy, and they said we did not have policies on directing interest income.† Many student accounts are earning interest in a local bank account and we donít give that back to them, but we donít charge them for holding the money. They said we donít have it in writing, and they are right.† Once the final report is in we will give you a copy.

 

FA: I would like to put that on reserve.

 

ADM:† The deans undertook a study of the budget in order to understand the budget process. Iím not sure that we understand it correctly but the process seems to be, if we have money, we spend it.† This was characterized as a rolling expenditure plan.† We would like to begin by hiring a consultant.† We will communicate broadly to all constituents, that if we approve expenditure restrictions, we will develop more accurate estimates.† We have to consider raising revenue to cover the mandated teachersí raises.

 

FA: Thank you; it is much appreciated.

 

DIVERSITY PROGRAM OF GENERAL EDUCATION

 

ADM:† We received your document of February 12, 2001, approved by the Senate on March 6, 2001.† Essentially this is fine but there needs to be a little more about implementation.† Essentially what you are saying is that this would replace the MGM program. Is that correct?

 

FA: Yes this is intended to replace the MGM program.

 

ADM: There were a couple of fairly major things.† The two things that it doesnít provide are (1) we would ask that the faculty review the current MGM program.†† Our assumption is that if the MGM courses are going away that you want to transfer them to the Diversity program.† Which is fine but we feel we need to know how you think this should be phased in for students.† (2) Does everyone have to take one course in a specific area?† The point here is that if you have them take one of each, there can be no other racial issues course.

 

FA:†† The answer is no.† Students may take their other two courses in any of the three areas.† One problem is staffing.† We think that over half the diversity courses taken by students is global diversity.

 

ADM:† We would like a policy statement that outlines that.

 

FA:† We will send that back to the General Education Committee.

 

WRITTEN RESPONSE ON EPT STANDARDS AND RESOURCES

 

FA:† Basically we are just asking where we are with this.† At the last Meet and Confer we requested a written response to the motion from the Senate about EPT and resources.† If we can get something in writing in response to this, it would be appreciated.

 

ADM:† I am not sure I can respond in writing.† My perception is that the total level of productivity with the five criteria doesnít change.† I would assume that if a faculty member had been teaching three classes and had a reassignment for scholarly activity, if we reduced the reassigned time and increased the teaching time, that the productivity will change on some level but that the total would not.† If people are teaching more and doing more advising, then I would expect to see less emphasis on advising and more emphasis on teaching.† Each faculty memberís portfolio is different and where they put their emphasis is different.† Some are making outstanding contributions to advising and some others are making outstanding contributions to scholarly activity.† But I would like you to keep in mind when you read this that the portfolios are all different.

 

FA:† Faculty are trying to do some new things and may not perform at the same level they have historically because they are trying to learn new things and new approaches to teaching.

 

ADM:† The documentation is provided to show that people are improving.† My expectation when I look at these is that there is the striving to become more effective. I would assume there arenít very many faculty members who are absolutely satisfied with how every student is doing in their classroom.

 

FA:† There is more stress and fear now because of the belief that they were able to be more effective when there were more resources.

 

ADM:† I recognize that.

 

FA:† The fear is that they will be penalized if they are not seen as effective enough by the administration.

 

ADM: My response is really trying to understand what the faculty member is doing with their time.† We have talked on occasions about the possibility of having the department tell me how it wants me to interpret the criteria.† How departments interpret the criteria is different.† But I donít believe I can ever allay that fear.†

 

FA:† One thing that might help is if we can agree that departments can give some guidance to Academic Affairs and have a written document, that would be recognized and taken into consideration.† I think that would help allay the fear.

 

ADM:† At all of my previous universities we had such documents where department faculty sat down to provide guidance to new faculty.† In business I know that publication and refereed journals meets the AACSB standards.† It would sure be nice to have the faculty tell me what it is that you value when it comes to the criteria.† It would certainly help me to know what the expectations are.† I think that would be invaluable.

 

FA:† So we can invite faculty to meet with the deans to come up with such statements.

 

ADM:† Absolutely.

 

FA:†† Perhaps this invitation will encourage departments that donít have such statements to try to come up with them.† I think somehow there is a disconnection between what is happening at the level of the deans and our level.† With that we donít want closure by saying these are the departmentís goals.† Every faculty member has different goals and we would like to send them along to the deans.† Even if the department lists the criteria, youíre still going to get variations on the goals.† In the last month two people have come to me with bills from our library for doing their research.† If we are saying that people need to do more research, but they have to pay for it, thatís not right.†

 

ADM:† If we have the department wanting to move from a to z and the faculty wants to move from z to a, then we will not have congruence on the goals and criteria.†

 

 

COURSES FUNDED THROUGH CONTINUING STUDIES

 

FA:† The faculty requests information in terms of courses and experiences funded through Continuing Studies. One of the questions is: are courses funded through Continuing Studies?

 

ADM:† Yes.

 

FA:† Concerning ITV courses funded through Continuing Studies whether in the regular year or in the summer, roughly how many are there?† Could you provide some written documentation?

 

ADM:† Approximately 40 courses on ITV, about 36 originate from SCSU.

 

FA: Regarding self-paced courses, how is it determined that these will be offered, which courses will be offered and what is done to provide all faculty in a department where the courses may originate the opportunity to offer such course.

 

ADM:† If Continuing Studies pursues such courses, we will go to the department, and eventually a faculty member will volunteer to offer that course as a self-paced course.

 

FA: What evaluation of faculty is there in terms of the provision of instructional service through self-paced courses and of the experience provided to students?

 

ADM:† We donít do formal evaluations of these courses.

 

FA: There seem to be some mixed information that is coming through faculty about some perceptions of these issues.

 

ADM:† My understanding is that these courses are on a voluntary basis.

 

FA:† How hard would it be for you to put together some sort of document saying how many courses Continuing Studies is funding, what faculty are being paid, and what is the process for volunteering?

 

AM:† The process for volunteering is to call me.† The basis for pay is contractual; a faculty member gets paid the same amount of money to teach a course for Continuing Studies as they do for a regular course.† Self-paced is $135 per credit; ITV is paid at 4 credits.† It is all defined by the MnSCU-IFO contract.

 

FA: I think a lot of faculty donít know this is available.

 

ADM:† The demand that is out there, 90 percent of it is probably teachers and business people.

 

FA:† What about the noncredit courses?

 

ADM:† Currently that is a small part of what we do.† The contract gives me a little more flexibility with those.† I pay them usually what they ask me to pay them.

 

FA:† When someone comes to you saying here is an English class and I want to teach it this way, do you have to go to the department for the criteria on teaching that?

 

ADM:† For non-credit courses, yes.† In the non-credit courses you go out and find a market because you are trying to make money for the university.† Itís entirely market driven.† If there isnít a market for it, we wonít do it.† If someone says they want to teach a non-credit course I know that we try to identify faculty to work with this kind of content.†† A lot of times we use people externally because we canít identify internal faculty who want to do it.

 

ADM:† We do try to be entrepreneurial.† We work with every single department on this campus.

 

FA:† I think there may be a lot of faculty that may not be very knowledgeable about what you do.

 

ADM:† I will suggest, as a starter, a copy of the strategic plan.† Then if you donít have what you need, we can discuss it further.

 

FA:† Okay, thank you.

 

ITP FUNDING

 

FA:† This came from faculty from four different departments.† How is this program being funded?

 

ADM:† Initial funding came from a grant; since then it has been funded through Continuing Studies.† My understanding is $4,815 tuition revenue per student.† Assume $5,000 a section is the cost to teach the class.† I want to talk about new programs we started back in September and to talk about the budget.† We said okay, what are we going to do to generate more students and more tuition?† We looked at several programs that we knew were out there.† The tuition from those programs goes into the budget. †I can tell you that the projected income from new programs far and away exceeds the costs of those programs.† If we donít have those programs, we do not generate that tuition revenue.† We didnít anticipate that we would more than cover the cost of all of them.† I feel very responsible to the university.† Our intent was to generate revenue to help cover the cost of our existing programs. I want to be on record that the intent (these were not programs that we dreamed up) was that these were programs that would generate revenue for the university.

 

FA:† Are you saying that given the budget shortfall you have decided toÖ

 

ADM:† We decided that the programs that already had the ball rolling would be the programs that we would push through.

 

FA:† You said it costs about $5,000 per section and that is a three-credit course.

 

ADM:† Yes, you can go as high as $8,900 and still make money.† The money goes into the universityís budget and that is what pays your salaries.

 

FA: So what you are saying is you can give us a document showing this.

 

ADM:† If your salary is up to $64,000 a year, we are still making money for the university.

 

FA:† And that is including all the fringes.

 

ADM:†† Yes.

 

FA:† You seem to be working from some written information and it may be helpful for us to have that information laid out in the way that you are doing it here but on a written document.

 

ADM:† I am not going to get a satisfactory document done in the next week.† What I am trying to say to you is our budget is based on some of the kinds of things stated in the document passed out to you already.

FA: Has the ITP gone through the curriculum process?

 

ADM:† The ITP people want to assess the data before they take it through the curriculum process.

 

FA:† So youíre saying that some of the funding is coming out of other programs but without that revenue coming in, we would not be able to put out as many seats for existing programs.

 

FA:† Do you have any idea what the deficit is for this year?

 

ADM:† I donít have a number, but I do know it is $800,000 less that the number we brought you. I can get you a number.† The good news is that we were able to save money and that is being rolled into next yearís budget and that is a one-time thing. I will have a number to Judy by the first of next week.† Every one of us has had a class that a student didnít show up on the final roster and that changes the budget.

 

FA:† When will we have a good idea of all the positions that were not filled?

 

ADM:† We had no positions that were not filled this year.† There were some that were slow to be filled, but I donít believe we had any we didnít fill this year. For next year we do have some†† positions we are not going to fill.† I can bring you next yearís projection.

 

FA:† If I may go back to the ITP program, if I heard you correctly, you were couching some of the information about 2001-2002 cohorts as if there were three groupsÖ

 

ADM:† Our original projection was three cohorts starting in the fall. What we were looking at was the fiscal year.

 

FA:† Is that indicating that you are projecting there will not be three?

 

ADM:† Yes.

 

STATEGIC INDICATORS

 

ADM:† This is a document that we prepared and, as best we know, this is accurate data. It is general, it is not specific to a department or a college; I wanted you to have it for your information.† What I am looking for are any suggestions that anyone has on other data we need to include in here.† This is the paint-by-numbers data not the decision-making data.

 

FA:† Is this posted on the website?

 

ADM:† I believe so.

 

FA: On page four, it says excluding faculty in Unit 218.

 

ADM:† I think it is those who actually teach for us but are actually MSUAASF employees.

 

SCHEDULE 25

 

ADM:† Our intent is to use this starting in fall for scheduling in spring. This does not mean that departments will lose their classrooms. The intent is the classrooms that have traditionally been scheduled by those departments will continue to be scheduled by those departments.† When we get into renovations we are going to have to be able to provide classrooms for the English department.† We do want to see smart utilization for scheduling classes.† Point four from the bottom says that Schedule 25 will throw out anything that does not fit the daily class schedule.† So if you are going to request a class that does not meet the daily class schedule, please have your dean override it.

 

FA: Will we still be able to decide when our classes meet?

 

ADM:† As long as it adheres to the class schedule or we have done an override on it.

 

ADM:† The system will be able to tell us whether it is appropriate for labs to meet for a certain amount of time when the computers canít do that now.† We have to delay classroom inventory in order to start using Schedule 25.† We are going to do a classroom inventory so faculty will see us walking buildings.† Do not become alarmed; we are simply trying to be sure that we have the correct inventory to feed into this.

 

FA:† Looking at the bullets on Schedule 25, there seems to be an indication made about identifying all space.† So this is an indication that we are moving into a phase where we will be making sure we are using the space?

 

ADM:† The intent is just to get an inventory of where we are.

 

FA:† The deans shared this beyond their own offices. Is MnSCU requiring the use of this or is it optional?

 

ADM: It is optional, but the president has already made the decision that we are using it.

 

FA:† We will take it to the FA and we will bring back concerns to you at the next Meet and Confer.

 

FA:† What would be considered a 60-student classroom for lectures doesnít hold 60 students if you want them to get into small group discussions.

ADM:† If you schedule a class that holds 40 students, you will need a classroom of this size, this is what we are looking for.