FA/Adm Meet and Confer

March 8, 2001


Meeting Notes


Faculty Association:† Judy Foster, David Mork, Andrew Larkin, Kathleen Maloney, Judith Kilborn, Terry Peterson, Jayantha Herath, Bill Langen††††††††††††††††††

Sunshine Shaney, Notetaker


Administration:† Roy Saigo, Lin Holder, John Burgeson, Roland Specht-Jarvis, Gene Gilchrist

††††††††††††††††††††††† Jackie Zieglmeier, Notetaker


Guests: Kristi Tornquist, Richard Rothhaus



FA:† Faculty feels they are being held to a maximum of 240 days is penalizing them and they donít like that.† They feel they are being forced.


ADM:† There is a draft that can be circulated.† There is no dilemma any more.† The solution we have come up with has 168 duty days and 11 holidays.† That leaves 186 days in the calendar year, all of which can be used as additional duty days.† The unclassified change form asks them to indicate the actual days that were used.† Donít ask to do a duty day twice in one 24-hour period.† If you need to do that, we would rather do that as overload compensation.† The only requirement is that people who are doing additional compensated activity keep an activity log, which is nothing more that a piece of paper stating what you did, when and where.


FA:† On behalf of those who brought this to us, I thank you.


FA:† You said that we could distribute this.† Is that correct?


ADM:† Yes, this is just a draft and Suzie hasnít seen it yet but it should be relatively the same as what she and I have discussed.




FA:† I can announce for the record the results of the Academic VP Search committee. I will follow this announcement with a written memorandum to that effect.† Faculty Senate discussed concerns and there were three that came up.† The first is the timeline.†


ADM:† I reviewed the dates and restrictions that we have and went over them with Laurel Allen.† We can begin reviewing applications on April 16.† I have every expectation that we will finish interviews by the second week in May.


FA: The second issue has to do with the appointment of the chair of a committee.† The faculty has requested that the committee be allowed to elect its chair.

ADM:† Our policy allows appointment of the chair by the president.† I think we have had discussions about sharing of the appointment before.† Given that this is a fairly tight time frame we did have a discussion of having co chairs.† That would be consistent with the way we conducted the presidential search a year ago.†


ADM:† When Suzie notified me of her intention to retire I felt that we needed to move as quickly as possible.† I tried to find somebody that everyone would respect and trust and who would be available.† I have no secrets, no preconceived notion of an individual.† I do have somebody in mind, someone who is respectable, who would like to come to St. Cloud and who would earn your respect.† Weíre not here to garner power or influence.† We are here to have an open search that can be done as efficiently as possible.


FA:† I was asked by the Senate to convey our continuing concern about the appointment of the chair.† Iím sure that committee members would welcome having one of their members serve as a co chair.


FA:† The third issue has to do with the ranking issue.† We know our instructions have been not to rank the finalist.† The action that Senate took on Tuesday was that it is the facultyís position that the search committee should have the option to decide whether and how they rank


ADM:† Isnít it strange how you can give me one name, letís say, and not give me the opportunity to find someone with whom I can fit and work with?† We are trying to build a team, arenít we?


FA:† If there is someone who is really outstanding to the committee we would like to be able to tell you.† Right now we are not allowed to do that.† Its not that they want to give you one name necessarily, itís just that they would like to be able to make recommendations to you.†

ADM:† Even if you rank, the president still makes the decision.


ADM:† I think we are all pretty good at describing our thoughts.† I think this pulls us into some legal exposure that we donít want to be pulled into.† I canít speak for the legal aspects but I know there are some legal conditions that could expose this University in ways that we would not be able to defend ourselves against.


FA:† Everyone knows it is very labor intensive serving on a search committee.† Faculty feel that if we are going to invest our time, we would like to have some significant role in the recommendation stage.


FA:† If we can come up with a way to satisfy both interests we would be very open to pursue it.


FA:† I think it might be quite helpful to be clear about the revision process for the manual of recruitment procedures.† Who revised it and when.† This document has been revised completely in October of 1998, but there have been sections revised within that.† I think it would be appropriate for us to look at this at Meet and Confer so that we donít have some of these issues continuing on and on.


FA:† There is an item that has been puzzling me for years.† When Laurel came before the Faculty Senate to present her credentials, I asked the following question: ďIs Administration subject to the same guidelines as faculty are?Ē† She responded ďno.Ē† Could anyone explain why the rules arenít the same?


ADM:† Iím confused by the answer you received.


FA:†† I was on a search committee, and I was told that a search committee doesnít have to exist because the president can appoint whomever they want.


ADM:† If the president would choose not to use a search committee, he is still subject to the affirmative action laws.† Those are the laws for us, for you, for everyone.† The specific procedure we use can differ, but the laws are the same for everybody.†


FA:† There are many strictures that are placed upon other searches.† It has arisen on a search committee and we were informed that those policies do not pertain to this sort of search.


ADM:† If there are discussions about the search process itself, perhaps we could help inform each other of what the issues would be.



ADM:† This is a fairly complex chart, but the message itself is a fairly simple one.† We do believe the legislature will appropriate monies greater than the governorís budget.† The intent is clearly to appropriate it to classroom teaching, but there are two problems.† One is that we act in an unusually undefined atmosphere. We do not know what instructions they will give MnSCU on what to do with that money.† It is quite likely that we wonít have anything until June.† We need to plan now, and we need to be making some decisions.† This chart is to discuss proposals. The two far left columns of numbers are what you saw.† Our first set of planning discussions went on with the VPs.† We would like to consider offering a nursing program.† We believe that that program will be self -supportive and return money to the campus.† We believe there will be $225,000 in excess in the first year, $150,000 in the second year and the third year we will make money.† Diversity and social justice is a number to hold now.† The students are conducting a cultural review.† They will make recommendations.† We propose to hold some money for allocations of that.†

City Assessment-Institutional research recruiting a person, this is roughly what it would cost to bring someone.† Admissions-Recruitment yield---I believe you know that the deans in some colleges have been contacted to hold college days for those who have had orientation and have not yet been admitted.† Two-year college collaboration--This would be a person who would work at our end to get by the final barriers in credit transfer.† We can get by that.† Letís have a person who does that.† Flight simulator--We need to replace that.† We did not plan on paying that $25,000. Course availability--we would allocate $40,000 to athletics; in return they would bring 125 students to the university.†

We believe that there are two sources of revenue.† We have proposed there be an executive MBA with two proposed sites.† One in the Anderson Center, the other through a contract the preferred Piper-Jaffrey and the second being Shwanís.† In the revised projection several items are lumped together.† One is the projected revision.† The governorís proposal would have reduced that number by $728,000.† The board has already committed that the first 15 million that they get will go to holding.† What we said was if the governorís budget adds 10 million what will we do?† If its 20 million in the first year and 40 million in the second.† I am aware that there are people that are talking about 247 million dollars from the governor.† I hear our legislature saying in the 100 million range.† We have not tried to show this on yet another dimension the effect we propose.†

You have suggested that we carry forward the additional tuition revenue from this year to next year.† We have planned that there is an extra 10 million needed in order to have at least as many seats as we had coming into this year (2400 coming in this year).† We have allocated on a one-time basis to our colleagues in Academic Affairs to mount next yearís schedule.† If we got the 20 million dollars, we would make that permanent.† Every additional dollar would be allocated to Academic Affairs.† Our message is for planning purposes only.† We are moving forward assuming there are $950,000.† If it gets to 20 million we will make it permanent.† If it gets to thirty million, we will allocate it back to academic affairs to have at least as many seats as we did coming into this fall.†† Every dollar beyond will be used to either make permanent those restorations or allocated to Academic Affairs.

FA:† If 30 million went through, it would be 30 the first year and 60 the next year.† Would that be the 100 million?


ADM:† No that is for the 47 million from the governorís numbers.


FA:† When you do this you are putting money in instruction, but when people come up for promotion in tenure, they have been getting turned down.† It seems to me not fair to turn around on those people because they are not doing enough research.† If our emphasis is pushing students through classes to increase our tuition, then you need to look at people being turned down for their requests for reassigned time because there is no money for it.


ADM:† This issue with the e-mail.† What this system forces us to do is lose money on the individual transaction and make it up in volume.† So we get forced into a number of choices that are reflected in the e-mail, and your comment that we have to take a look at those issues I think is perfectly legitimate.


FA: In our Senate meeting on Tuesday, the following motion was made:† ďThat the Faculty Senate directs the Faculty Meet and Confer team to convey to the SCSU Administration and to the IFO Action Team its adamant objections to the reductions in faculty reassigned time (beyond contractual minimums), departmental budgets and resources, and staffing unless the SCSU Administration agrees to incorporate these reductions into the standards applied for renewal, promotion, and tenure.Ē


ADM:† For the record, every unit on campus faces this issue.†


FA:† If what you are saying is that by our asking for expectations to be appropriately adjusted for us, we also need to adjust our expectations for support services. I think we could accept that.


ADM:† Was this a concern more voiced by younger faculty or those who have been on campus for a while?


FA: It was voiced by both groups in Senate.† When Senate sees that five junior faculty members are being recommended for non-renewal, they are not going to take that very well.


ADM:† We recently interviewed a candidate for Assistant Academic Vice President.† The primary focus was on assisting faculty, but also for developing faculty. The candidate asked what would it take to get faculty actively involved?† The answer is we have to find a way to reduce the teaching load and set high expectations for production.


FA:† We have reports of deans specifically telling faculty that in order to get tenure they have to publish a book.† Faculty feel they are being held to unrealistic expectations.


FA: Part of the issue is that most of us have been here a long time. One of the issues we have seen is increasing standards for scholarly activity.† It doesnít seem appropriate to say, ďWe are giving you larger classes, but only thinking about the other issue.Ē


FA:† It is my happy privilege to have a tenure track probationary colleague who shares an interest in my area of research and is very energetic in making a contribution to serving on committees.† In the natural order of things, myself and a number of my colleagues will be retiring within the next few years.† Who will take over?


ADM:† As long as you can somehow demonstrate that you have made a difference in your discipline, it doesnít have to be a book.


FA: You need to educate the other deans on that.


FA: I am making a plea for the institution to come to grips with the realization that we will have large numbers of faculty being burned out.


ADM:† We cannot pretend that it is not the best we can do.† If we lower the standard people will not see what our potential is.† People would not come here if we presented ourselves as second rate.† That is the inherent danger.† I need the faculty to be fired up about their contributions here.†


FA:† I think we are moving ourselves into a discussion of contractual issues.† I would strongly suggest that me make that an agenda item and bring with us the contractual obligations to make it a more effective discussion. It is a very delicate proposition to integrate new faculty into the campus.† It is an inefficient and inappropriate use of time and money to set ourselves up to repeatedly have to search for the same positions because we do not have our institutional ďact togetherĒ to support the junior faculty.


FA:† The bubbling up of this concern means to me that the Faculty Senate is saying weíre really at the edge here.

ADM:† I do feel this coming to some kind of peak here.† There is no question that the worst thing we could do is have more students and not offer the courses. Yet, on June 30 people in the business office are going to have to put allocations on the board.† If you look at whatís going on around the system, MnSCU should cut everyoneís funds but St. Cloud.


ADM:† The governor feels that we are all over-funded.† After 20 years weíve gone from 70 to 30 percentile in funding.† We go to MnSCU with this allocation model.† My colleagues at other colleges are fighting against it.† I donít see us having the government raise that back up 15%, 30% or 40%.† I just donít see those days ever coming back.† I donít see inflation slowing down, so we are trying to find different ways we can cut back, increase income in different ways like dormitories.† I want you to know that I have been in your shoes, we have carried 18 credit hours and been expected to do research and at the time we didnít even have copy machines.† We do feel your pain; we will try to do whatever we can.


FA:† I would strongly encourage the administration to provide a written statement either to Faculty Senate or by e-mail in terms of the receipt of the motion and attention being given to the issues that are a part of that motion.† How far you feel you could take such a statement would have to be determined in Academic Affairs.† My perception as a member of Faculty Senate is that there needs to be a response in order to help with some of the dialogue and some of the issues and concerns.† This is one where attention must be paid.


ADM: The only caution that I would put out there is that the contract binds us all.


ADM:† One other thing about the budget, weíve been asked to hold off on our tuition increases because implications are that the Minnesota Senate will come back and say we can only increase so far.


FA: What about our request for mediation?


ADM:† We are preparing our response.


FA:†† In terms of the budget on the nursing line, you indicated that by the third year it would be bringing money in to the institution.† How long would it take to recoup what we spent?


ADM:† I think it would be in the fourth or fifth year.


FA:† Recruitment yield?† On what is the $20,000 based on?


ADM:† Recruitment has gone up every year.

FA: This would not be the primary recommendation.


ADM:† Our hope is that this would get us to the $2,400 and not beyond the $2,400.


FA:† SCSU doesnít have an excellent reputation of winning some of the things that it has chosen to take to court. These are costs that we are not considering.† The other piece is that it came to our attention that there is an issue regarding the allocation.† What is the source of funding for the ITP program?† This is a particularly critical question as departments see themselves being cut.† They are concerned that money that could be used to support approved curriculum may be being used to fund an unapproved program or pilot program.


ADM:† That program is funded in part by external grant money.† It is also funded by its own tuition.† I understand your frustration for moving this through the curriculum process.† I would disagree with two things about the record of things that we choose to pursue.† First of all this campus recommended that we settle the gender equity suit.† That $800,00 was not necessarily by choice.†


FA:† I believe that part of my point is that the amount of money expended by this campus is perhaps higher than similar campuses.


FA:†† There is no grant funding for ITP program is the understanding that I have.† That it is all used up. The question is basically: is funding that could be supporting existing approved curriculum being used for ITP?


FA: My understanding is that there are students in major programs waiting to graduate because there is not funding because it is being used for ITP.† I think it will be helpful to have some written information on the allocation of funds for ITP and the relative funding for programs and courses in the affected departments, particularly Teacher Development, over the last several years.


ADM:† I canít provide a specific answer but I can promise you I will sit down with Suzie and get you the information.


FA:† We would appreciate that by the next Meet and Confer.† Thank you.


FA: How can we potentially help reconcile some of this information for concerned facult--that next year there would be no overloads?


ADM:†† There is a very specific market that can be served in a program that can be self-supporting where the faculty and dean have worked together to pursue.


FA:† I think we saw some kind of proposal regarding this overload.† It may not be a contractual issue but an issue that some faculty members are going to be paid a different rate to do an overload.† I think we need to be cautious.† That would raise the question about the use of overload and whether faculty members are teaching the full two contractual loads or whether there is reassigned time and whether faculty are being asked to teach overloads in a different load.



FA:† If there are more than two finals on the same day, the student may request relief.† What we ask you to do is come up with some kind of verification document so that the student has to provide proof.


ADM:† All the student has to do is show the professor their printed schedule to prove this.




ADM:† We are hosting basketball finals, and we have our hockey playoffs starting tomorrow night.† I had the privilege of meeting about 40 alumni and they were so wonderful and successful and they are there because of attending SCSU.† You should be proud of the sprit that they had, ranging from newly graduated to close to retirement.