FS012219 2.aApproved by FS 1/22/19

FACULTY SENATE MEETING MINUTES

December 4, 2018, 3:30 pm Cascade Room

OFFICERS: Tom Hergert, Mark Jaede, Jamie Heiman, Tina Sacin

IFO BOARD: Debra Leigh, Shawn Schooley

NEGOTIATOR: Tracy Ore

MAJOR COLLEGE/UNIT REPRESENTATIVES: (CLA) Jennifer Tuder, Debra Japp; (COSE) Matt Julius; (HBS) Bill Hudson; (SCEE) Tony Hansen; (SHHS) Laura Finch; (SOTA) Matt Ferrell; (SOE) Steven McCullar; (SOPA) Dick Andzenge; (SS) Cindy Gruwell

COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS (CLA): (ANTH) Mark Muniz; (CMST) VACANT, David Warne, VACANT; (ENGL) John Madden, VACANT, VACANT; (GENDER & WS) Mumbi Mwangi; (FORL) Masha Mikolchak; (HIST) Rob Galler; (COMM) Dale Zacher; (PHIL) VACANT; (PSYC) Jody Illies, Leslie Valdes; (SOC) Ann Finan

COLLEGE OF SCIENCE & ENGINEERING (COSE): (BIOL) VACANT, Ryan Fink; (CHEM) Christina Cama, Nate Bruender; (MATH & STAT) Ravi Kalia, Bill Branson, Michael Ernst; (PHYS) Chris Nelson

HERBERGER BUSINESS SCHOOL (HBS): (ACCT) Amy Fredin; (FIRE) VACANT; (IS) Susantha Herath; (MGMT) VACANT; (MKTG) Rajesh Gulati, VACANT

SCHOOL OF COMPUTING, ENGINEERING & ENVIRONMENT(SCEE): (AHS) Alan Srock; (CSIT) Amos Olagunju, Andy Anda; (ECE) Timothy Vogt; (ETS) Tony Akubue; (MME) Julianna Zhao

SCHOOL OF HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES (SHHS): (CSD) Teri Estrem; (COUN & PSYC) Martin Guo, Trae Downing; (GERO) Rona Karasik; (Kinesiology) Giovanni Antunez; (NURS) Amy Hiller-Listerud, Roxanne Wilson; (SW) Patience Togo Malm

SCHOOL OF THE ARTS (SOTA): (ART) Julie Baugnet; (MUS) Kristian Twombly, VACANT; (TH & FS) Jeffrey Bleam

SCHOOL OF EDUCATION (SOE): (CFS) Fati Zarghami; (ELHE) Rachel Friedensen; (HURL) Semya Hakim; (SPED) Jennifer Christensen; (TDEV) Jennifer Jay, Yun Claire Park

SCHOOL OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS (SOPA): (CJS) VACANT; (ECON) Eungmin Kang; (GEOG & PLAN) Aspa Rigopoulou-Melcher, VACANT; (POL) Shoua Yang, Linda Butenhoff

SPECIAL SERVICES (SS): (AS) Geoffrey Tabakin, Steven Anderson; (ATHL) Gretta Arvessen, VACANT; (CONT STUDIES) VACANT; (COUNS) Steve Jenkins;(UL) Robin Ewing, Jo Flanders

 

1.) Call to order at 3:35 pm

 

2.) Act on Minutes

a.) Faculty Senate minutes of November 6, 2018 (FS120618 2.a)

Motion to approve Faculty Senate minutes of November 6, 2018, and all actions included—(Jaede/Gruwell). Passed

 

b.) Executive Committee minutes of October 30 and November 13, 2018 (FS120618 2.b)—filed.

c.)  UCC minutes of November 8 & 15, 2018 (FS120618 2.c.1-2.c.2) motions below

d.) Professional Development Committee minutes of November 15, 2018 and recommendations document (FS120418 2.d.1-2.d.2) motions below

e.) Faculty Research Grants Committee minutes of October 26, 2018 and recommendations document (FS120418 2.e.1-2.e.2) motions below

f.)   International Studies Committee minutes of October 25/November 8, 2018 (FS120418 2.f) motions below

g.) Budget Review Committee minutes of December 4, 2018 (FS120418 2.g) motions below

        

3.) Treasurer’s Report—we received a portion of the $7,500 extra allocation.

 

4.) Consent Agenda—none.

 

5.) Special Elections—none.

 

6.) Call for Additional Agenda Items—Committee Charges

 

7.) Announcements

a.) Grievance Update—none.

b.) Provost and President Meeting Updates—Hergert and Jaede met with the Provost yesterday. No meeting with the President since last faculty senate. There was discussion.

c.)  Negotiations Update—Ore gave an update.

d.) IFO Board Update—we received an increase of $7,500 in the allocation, there are two new tiers of membership: adjunct $25/year when not teaching and emeritus lifetime membership rate $250. There was discussion that those with higher pay had larger dues increases. Jaede added that it was discussed at length at Delegate Assembly.

e.) Drum Circles – room for more volunteers at 12:00-12:50 pm on Monday, December 10, 2018—you are welcome if you are interested. In Cascade Room.

f.)   Chairs meeting with IFO President Brent Jeffers and Pat Arseneault December 17 at 3-4 pm in Mississippi Room—announced. Ore asked if others can attend this meeting and the FA will check and send out an announcement.

g.) Rally tomorrow in Atwood in main lounge at 4 pm. There is a new student organization Free Speech Club (It’s okay to be white buttons and signs). There was discussion.

 

8.) Unfinished Business

a.) “Gee I thought this was a full-time job” (Hansen)—Hansen explained the item. There was no discussion.

 

9.) New Business

a.) Proactive Conversations Pertaining to University Issues (standing EC item)—no guests.

b.) UCC motions from November 8 & 15, 2018 minutes. Passed

c.)  Professional Development Committee motions from November 15, 2018 minutes. Passed

d.) Faculty Research Grants Committee motions from October 26, 2018 minutes. Passed

e.) International Studies Committee motions from October 25/November 8, 2018 minutes. Passed

f.)   Budget Review Committee motions from December 4, 2018 minutes. Passed

g.) Spring Evaluation of Deans under previous process—this has not happened for a few years. The provost has promised it will happen in February or March. We are wondering what to use to evaluate the deans, and that will be discussed further.

h.) Committee Charges—Hergert explained that committees have been asked to review their charges and send changes or affirm no changes to Executive Committee to review.

10.)Adjournment at 4:28 pm


Submitted by Polly Chappell,
FA/IFO Union Office Operations Coordinator